1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Finding another phone service

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by sunnydogday, May 31, 2015.

1. sunnydogday

sunnydogday Newbie
    None

May 15, 2013
    I've been googling this and asking people but seem to get a lot of different answers, and I'm confused.
    I have been on a family plan with my daughter (and others) with AT&T for around 4 years. We have several phones on it and it's gotten so expensive we can't keep up with it, and going to look for something else, probably not a family plan (some are getting Net 10, some Straight Talk) She is going to make a payment arrangement for repaying what she will end up owning AT&T, we are all going to help with. Last Fall I started buying a galaxy s4 from AT&T on a payment plan. My daughter thinks this will just go into the overall balance we will owe, the past due and termination fees, etc. I have been looking into Verizon (at first a family plan, but now the family seems to want prepaid, and no contracts, etc) but apparently I can't use my AT&T Galaxy with Verizon, and would have to buy one from them or elsewhere. I am thinking now of going with Straight Talk, at least for now, but, some say I can't use my AT&T phone (that is locked by AT&T?) for this, and some say I can because Straight Talk uses AT&T as a provider (one person told me AT&T owns Straight Talk, but I think it's Walmart)
    I can always return the phone to AT&T and maybe get credit for it, but then I'd have to start over and I like the phone.
    I can see where AT&T might not unlock it if I owe the money for it, to use with another carrier, but can I use it with a Straight Talk SIM card (I could call Walmart to get?) and prepaid?
    one time one of the family's phones needed a new sim card AT&T was sending and she was told she could get a Straight Talk sim card to put in and use while waiting (she didn't). So, they must be compatible.
    When I was googling this I read (elsewhere, here) that it's illegal to unlock a phone and use it with another carrier, but if Straight Talk is AT&T....?
    I don't have a lot of money, I live on Social Security, and don't have credit cards (I don't have a high income and "credit") I once tried to set up AT&T service on my own just for me and they wanted a $500 depost. I don't know if Verizon would let me get service (just for me not a family plan) without something like this. Though I could get another galaxy, maybe s5 from Verizon and return this one to AT&T.
    If it's not too much more expensive and I could get Verizon and a phone from them, I like the idea of not having to buy time every month.
    So far, I haven't called any of these places to ask, but I'd like some idea and be a little less confused, before I do.
    Right now, choices seem to be "Straight Talk" (using my phone or getting one of theirs if I can't) or trying to get set up with Verizon and getting another phone from them for payments, if they'd let me do this.
    I live in rural VT, and we don't have much options (like T Mobile or Sprint) but I know AT&T, Verizon and Net 10 work here.
    Maybe someone who knows about this can help me with the basics? I've only had AT&T (on family plan) and before that Trac Fone, which said I had coverage here, but I didn't..
    Thank You...

Advertisement

2. sunnydogday

sunnydogday Newbie
    None

May 15, 2013
    .,, later I've been looking on ebay for unlocked or Straight talk phones (Galaxy s4) some say "for Straight Talk and AT&T" some say "for Straight Talk (Verizon Towers)" Verizon has a Straight Talk, too, or this phone will work for Straight Talk that is from Walmart? I looked at phones for sale on the Straight Talk page and the smart phones/Androids say a monthly fee is required to activate them... I'm more confused than ever. Thinking, though if I can find a used Galaxy S4 that is unlocked, I could return my AT&T one and have one I could use with any carrier or try one and then switch?

3. redjama

redjama Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 7, 2013
    Male
    Glorified Welder/Fabricator
    Denver, PA
    From what I know.....Straight Talk is through Verizon..... At&t is At&t go....Boost and Virgin are Sprint....Sprint and Verizon also have there own separate "prepaid" Sprint being the cheapest of the 2. Net 10 I'm not sire who there through...I wanna say At&t....prepaid is honestly the way to go but you have to pay for the phones upfront. I myself will never do contract again. I'm perfectly fine using Virgin mobile. I've had 0 issues with the service

4. sunnydogday

sunnydogday Newbie
    None

May 15, 2013
    thanks for the response! I'm pretty sure that Straight talk is AT&T it used to be "Go Phone", and they say on it you can only use unlocked phones OR AT&T phones (are compatible) or buy one from them. It's through WalMart. I've been Googling a lot and found US Cellular (which also has a prepaid plan) but for our area (No VT) the coverage says "partner coverage... varies". We don't have Sprint and T Mobile here, I don't think we have Virgin Mobile, either, but I've seen all their ads. I don't think I can get a contract anyway, I don't have a big income (though I could pay the phone bill, as long as SS continues :) I've been paying a lot to AT&T for yeas but it was under my daughter's name and I don't have "major credit cards" . I don't have bad credit more like no credit. I think first I will find out about Straight Talk, at least for now, because I have an AT&T phone I can probably use (nothing is for sure till I try it). If I can't use it, I can get an unlocked one on ebay and go from there. I think buying a phone outright is probably better than financing one through the carrier. I have the Galaxy S4 which I like, and don't need a newer version. There are a few points that are vague with Straight Talk, though, like I have to pay $14.95 for a sim card and it says if it can't be used/activated (the phone) they don't refund it. It also says in small print if you have a smart phone, there is a small monthly fee that is charged for this, but I can't find out what this is. I remember when it was GoPhone they said this, it was $2.99 a month, they took out of our checking account. I was also reading that Straight Talk is a little less (fees and taxes) if it's auto taken out of one's bank, but people who set it up couldn't later get them to stop doing it. I don't like or trust auto withdrawals and avoid this all I can. I don't mind the small fee, I just don't like the being connected to my checking account.
    If nothing else if I try prepay and it isn't good for some reason (it seems like a bother but no more bother than paying the bill once a month) I can try something else, Thanks for helping me figure this out.

5. sunnydogday

sunnydogday Newbie
    None

May 15, 2013
    I looked up Virgin Mobile, it sounds wonderful but we have NO coverage here :)