1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Finding deals

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by PhoneFanatic1, Apr 30, 2012.

?

Where do you search for deals?

1. Craigslist

50.0%
  2. eBay

50.0%
  3. Slickdeals (or other deal sites)

33.3%
  4. Twitter, Facebook, etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

33.3%
  1. PhoneFanatic1

PhoneFanatic1 Newbie
    None

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing the site for quite some time but just registered a few days ago. I wanted to ask where everyone goes to finds deals on phones they're interested in. Do you scour Craigslist, eBay, Slickdeals, Twitter?

Some friends and I are building a site that tracks prices everywhere and really want to make something that's useful. I'm not here to plug the site, so no worries there, I just want to know what sources you use to find deals now and what tools/features would help weed through all the listings.

So far we monitor prices on Craigslist and eBay for every smartphone in every condition and can alert you to a deal in your area. What else would help?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Typically I will add companies on Google+ or Facebook. Negri Electronics has a VIP circle on Google+ where they send out special coupon codes to save quite a bit more money.

3. PhoneFanatic1

PhoneFanatic1 Newbie
    None

Nice. Out of curiosity, if Negri were to email you the same deals directly, would you want that?

Our approach right now is to let people find a phone they want to keep an eye on and then subscribe via email to deals on that phone. We have a Facebook page but haven't put as much behind that angle.

4. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Email would definitely be preferred over a social network. With social networks it's all about seeing the deals at the right time, I don't want to spend a lot of time looking through Facebook posts just to find a better deal.

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I use eBay a lot. Occasionally I'll check out Craigslist, but there are a lot more deals on eBay since it is international as opposed to local.

I also am on mailing list for deals and sales from some retail stores, but I rarely take advantage of those.

I did groupon for a while, but I found myself buying things then forgetting about it and the deal would expire.

6. PhoneFanatic1

PhoneFanatic1 Newbie
    None

That's good to know. We're working on adding in eBay prices right now. When we're done, you'll be able to subscribe to a phone and a price and it'll email you when it pops up on eBay (and/or CL.)

I personally can't stand Groupon. CowBoom is only marginally better IMO.