1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Finding lost phone

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by seanjoe, Dec 29, 2011.

1. seanjoe

seanjoe Newbie

Hi. I haven't lost my phone just so ya know. I am trying to figure out how to find my phone with the GPS if I do lose it. I have AVG installed and it says I should be able to find it using google maps. How do I go to my laptop or some computer and find my phone using google maps? Thanks!

WarningU2 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Wheres My Droid

“After texting your phone a custom attention word the app turns the ringer volume up and makes your phone ring. It's also possible to get the GPS location of your phone”

Plan B

“This is the first and only 'find my phone' app that you download AFTER you've already lost your phone.”

3. seanjoe

seanjoe Newbie

What about AVG? It says in the settings that it sends device location to server to locate device on google map. I just don't know how to pull it up on google maps on a computer.

4. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast

5. seanjoe

seanjoe Newbie

Thanks for the help. If I understand correctly avg is just making sure that my GPS is turned on on my phone and I still need to download an app so I can get the coordinates?
    Another question. When checking out these apps it says its a good idea to change the custom attention word. Why is that? Is there something a person can do if they stole the phone to stop the phone from sending the coordinates? And to send the text I need to do it from someone elses phone or is there a way I can do it from a computer?

6. seanjoe

seanjoe Newbie

Well I decided to uninstall AVG and use Lookout and it seems to work fine. Thanks for the help.

7. WarningU2

WarningU2 Newbie

Very useful info ... I was using the find phone feature with htcsense but as that is no longer available Where's my droid is a good replacement. Thank you

8. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

I use both Where's My Droid and Lookout. They have different locating capabilities.

With Where's My Droid, you send a secret text message to the phone and it sends back it's coordinates and a map link. Then when you get near it, you can send it a secret message that will turn up the ringer to full volume and ring your phone. That's useful, if for example, you lost your phone while skiing. You could borrow somebody else's phone and use it to find your phone.

Lookout lets you track a phone on a map on Lookout's website. This is especially useful if you want to track a phone from a PC/Mac web browser, for example, if the phone has been stolen, or you want to track your kids. Just be aware that tracking them will turn on the phone's GPS which will use a lot of battery.

9. sgosnell

sgosnell Well-Known Member

IME Plan B is the best app for this, but I haven't tried all of those mentioned. You use Plan B after losing the phone. You go to the market on your PC or another Android device, and remotely install Plan B on your phone, which will then turn on the GPS and start sending text messages with the coordinates of the phone, which can be used to display the location in Google Maps. It will use the network location if necessary, and it may be, because the GPS may not work where the phone is. Being inside a large metal building can result in no GPS signal. You may be charged for a lot of text messages, but that's a small price to pay for finding the phone. I tried it just to see how it worked, and it showed my phone in the correct room in my house.