• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Finding offending apps

old_codger

Jun 3, 2011
WV
2 questions. I think I've found the answers but don't understand them.
1)I frequently get a mystery notification - I hear a tone but receive no indication (I can find) what the tone represents (e.g., SMS or error). How can I determine the type of notification and the specific notification? can I change tones so an error notifications has a different tone than an incoming SMS?
2) Which leads me to this. When my phone is on and I can see notifications I sporadically get an error message - com.motorola.service.com (is this the mystery tone when my phone is off?). I can find no consistency in it. No specific time - no specific app. I have researched it and found references to the error (conflict with Motoblur) with the most common recommendation being to find and stop the offending app. I think I know how to kill apps. What I don't know is how to find the specific app causing the error. Guidance please.

I guess I should have known "there's an app for that."
DLd and tried it. Didn't take long. 3 errors. All com.Motorola.service.main. All associated with "email engine" which, in turn, is associated with an icon rather uncreatively called "Email." I suppose if I kill "email" then I will no longer be able to receive email. Is that correct?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones