1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Finding Pictures on This Bleeping Phone!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by monicakm, Aug 18, 2012.

1. monicakm

monicakm Android Enthusiast

It's possible I'm not the most stupid person on this forum, but I know I'm the most frustrated right now! I've asked this before and haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer. Maybe if someone would explain it like I'm a six year old...no, wait...make that a 4 year old.

All I want to do is connect my (unrooted) razr to my computer, find the folder that contains my personal photos and drag and drop them into the phone's photo album. That's about as basic as it gets. Maybe that's the problem. This is a "smart"phone, not a basic one :eek: Which, btw, was a very basic operation with my LG enV Touch.

This is the only thing on my SD card. It's in the dcim/camera folder. The only other folder is Tunes.

The next image is a screen shot that is found by going to My Gallery/My Library. So why can't I find the "Web Photos" folder (or any other folder for that matter) so I can drag and drop from my computer. The title "web pictures" doesn't mean they were downloaded from the web. It's a picture SIZE description.

So, without adding apps or using Moto(whatever...hated that software), please explain to me where I can find the folder that these pictures are in so that when connected to my computer, I can simply drag and drop, ,or copy/paste computer photos to this phone.
    Monica

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

If I'm understanding your question correctly, the folder "Web Photos" isn't actually a folder on your phone but rather a folder that the My Gallery app "creates" to organize the photos for you (without changing locations in your internal/sd storage).

Have you checked both internal storage AND SD card for the photos you are looking for?

3. monicakm

Maybe I don't know how to check the internal storage. I've looked in every folder that pops up when I connect the phone to the computer. It's actually a couple of drives that pop up.
    Web Photos is a folder on my computer that, while I had that stinkin Moto(whater) installed, synced to my phone in My Gallery.HTH

4. carracerz14

carracerz14 Android Expert

It's always under the dcim folder... It's been the same for any phone or camera known to man.

5. carracerz14

When you plug your phone in two drives should appear. One is called MOT and that's your internal storage, on my computer its the H drive. And the other one is called removable storage, on mine its the I drive. If you have your camera set to save pics in your internal storage then it will be in the MOT Window if not then it's in the under one, under dcim

6. Grey1001

Grey1001 Android Enthusiast

From the RAZR ICS manual. Hope it helps.

7. gkperformance

gkperformance Newbie

If you would like me to tell you step by step instructions pm me and I will show you the easiest way to do it. I know how hard it can be with this phone.

8. monicakm

Well, I would do exactly that and that's what I've been trying to do but I can't find the ding dong folder! :mad:
    Wonder what would happen if I plugged the phone into the computer and (provided it's possible) make a new photo folder in the dcim folder, and then put all my pictures in it. Don't want to confuse the phone even tho he's found great pleasure in confusing ME!

9. monicakm

Sometimes I get two, sometimes three windows that open when I plug the phone into the computer. The pictures are still nowhere to be found. These are pictures that I transferred from my computer to the phone via Moto(something). I no longer use or want to use that software since it syncs photos that I don't care to have on my phone (and it's just sloppy software). Someone said the pictures are ALWAYS under dcim. They're not in this case. And no, they're not in the two folders below the "thumbnail" folder

10. monicakm

Well there's a first time for everything (sigh)

11. monicakm

OK, I made a "recipe" folder on the MOT drive in the dcim folder. It's a dup of a folder that is already on my phone, in My Gallery, but I can't locate on the phone. When I navigated to My Gallery on the phone, there was the new Recipe folder I made. I know have two Recipe folders with the exact files. It would seem that the answer would be to delete the original Recipe folder BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND IT :( And it seems I can't delete, from the phone, whole folders at one time. I can only choose individual files within the folder. I think I'm ready to admit defeat.

12. fosterj

fosterj Newbie

In the top-right window, what's in the camera folder? On my phone, it's external SD\DCIM\Camera. Assuming you haven't checked already, it should be in the DCIM\Camera of either internal or external storage. Also, Verizon stores have classes every so often that cover various Android basics. Even if not during a class, I'm sure they'll be able to help you

13. monicakm

Pictures and videos I've taken with the phone's camera are in that camera folder. No, none of the pictures you see in those various folders (except the one that says "Camera") in the screen shot above, are in any dcim folders or subfolders internal or external memory.

14. carracerz14

I'm not sure what's so confusing.

15. monicakm

What's so confusing is that none of the pictures in Moto's "My Gallery" can be found in any folders when I connect the phone to the computer, be it internal or external memory.

16. carracerz14

I'm sure you're doing something wrong. If they're not in the dcim/camera folder then they wouldn't be on your phone. Period.

17. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie

It is very simple actually. You don't even have to plug your phone in to your computer. Get an app called Astro file manager. From there you can go to all your files that are on the internal sd card (phone storage) or the external phone storage. Also move any file from one file to another. So go in to astro and tap manage my files, locate the folder where them Web downloads are, select all or long press on each file and tap move, then at the top tap home then tap up then tap sdcard_ext then dcim then at the top tap paste. This will move the files to your external sdcard in the folder where your pictures go from your camera. Or you can put them where you choose to.

18. monicakm

I have Astro File Manager. I've looked long and hard for my photos. Today, I finally did a search at the root directory level. It didn't come up with the search word "web" or "photos" or "web photos". Then I tried "Gallery" at the root level (touch the up button twice). The word "gallery" isn't found at mnt/sdcard or or mnt. However, it IS found where there is no path in front of the folder (I'm calling that the root directory??). The file size is 9.41MB. The file path is, as you can see, system/app/MotGallery.apk.

Tap on that and I get the choice to uninstall or launch. Click on launch and I get this

Click on Library and I get the various folders you see in my first screenshot. Click on Web Photos and there you have it. And they are clearly NOT in the dcim folder...period!

I'm beginning to think I need to be looking for a different approach. What would you do that doesn't include losing all those folders in "My Gallery"?

19. monicakm

Thank you owlsbrat. I'd tried Astro before but was able to dig deeper this time. I have multiple folders with probably a total of over 500 files in My Gallery. It won't allow me to move the folders nor do I have a "select all" button (that I can see). That's a lot a files to move and I'd lose my various folders.

20. Grey1001

Grey1001 Android Enthusiast

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews