1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Finding ringtones

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by motog, May 20, 2017.

1. motog

motog Well-Known Member

My old Moto g3 used a message tone that I liked - my new Moto g5 plus doesn't have the same tone.
    I though I could simply copy it across from one device to the new one - but I can't find it!
    Any body any idea where all the ring/message tones are kept?

Alan

2. Best Answer:
    Post #14 by kate, May 21, 2017 (3 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Download Xplore and try to search from the root "/" directory. Maybe you could reach the directory of the ringtones without root. The exact path I don't know it. You have to search and use your intuition because the directory tree varies across devices.

4. motog

motog Well-Known Member

Thanks, I installed xplore but couldn't find the ringtones/sounds folder I was hoping for, think I would have to root.

Alan

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Do you see anything in /system/media/audio/

That's the normal location.

6. motog

motog Well-Known Member

Don't seem to have a 'system' folder?!
    Can't find it anywhere!

Alan

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

To see anything in /system the device must be rooted, and that is where the stock ringtone files are stored. If you can find and download an appropriate ROM image for this device, you might be able to find and extract the files from that.

8. motog

motog Well-Known Member

Thanks, won't go down the rooting root, I have only had the phone a few days!
    Plan B!

Alan

9. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

kate likes this.
  10. kate

Mikestony likes this.
  11. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

kate likes this.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

FWIW, on my Oppo I can see /system, but it can't browse anything in there. Of course my daily use phone isn't rooted.

13. motog

motog Well-Known Member

Well thanks guys!
    Installed Root Browser found and copied the notification sound out and pasted into SD card, brilliant!
    Now will install Root Browser in new phone and hopefully paste into the correct directory.
    Looks a good bit of kit, seems like unwanted files could be removed if required.

Alan

14. motog

motog Well-Known Member

Unfortunately! Root Browser doesn't enable new files to be written or deleted.
    So close though!

Alan

15. kate

Are you trying to paste the ringtone into the same folder on the new phone? That won't work because you can only read (not write) to the /system folder without root.

Your File Explorer might show a default Ringtones folder you can copy it to, or on my phone I can put the ringtone in /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/ for it to show up. If that location doesn't exist you can create the folders.

16. motog

motog Well-Known Member

Yippee! It worked! Thanks to you all.
    The wife seems rather pleased (relieved) it works as well!

Alan

Mikestony likes this.
  17. GloriaKing

GloriaKing Lurker

If you want to find free ringtones that are trending ringtones now I can recommend Msonneries, I have been using ringtones here and I love them, hope you will enjoy it too. .

#16 GloriaKing, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  18. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

You can use any short piece (30seconds or so) as a ringtone. Find something you like, and cut a suitable pice out using Audacity and export it as mp3. Then copy that to the ringtone folder - et voila, there's your new ringtone.