1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Fingerprint Scanner??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roddy, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member

Can someone help me out.

I don't know why I don't have the option to use the fingerprint scanner to log into my phone.

When I go to Screen Lock/Lock Screen/ the only option I have is the the password option. I did Encrypt my phone on last night so I don't know if that's the reason why I can't use fingerprint scanner or not. If that's the issue, can someone tell me know to "un-encrypt" my phone?

I do apologize if I sound ignorant. However, I never used an Samsung/TouchWiz phone. I'm use to HTC's Sense.

Thanks,

Roddy

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

I apologize that I'm speculating here since my n4 isn't here yet, but based on a few YouTube clips I've seen, you can access your finger print option by going to your s finder and searching finger print. It will show you everywhere on your phone that finger print is mentioned including in settings.
    I hope this helps, but again, it's totally spit balling until my Verizon unit comes in.

3. MNB2012

MNB2012 Newbie

As with most androids with a fingerprint scanner it can't be used with an encrypted device. I'm in the same boat. Only gives me pin and password as my options.
    I believe a factory reset is the only way to decrypt your device. Back it up first. Search the Web there may be some new techniques but that's what I had to do on my s4

4. makinetion

makinetion Lurker

I turned on the fingerprint scanning feature to unlock my phone but it only asks for my fingerprint when I first unlock it on reboot, and it just asks for a swipe for every unlock after.

5. makinetion

makinetion Lurker

No need to fix anymore

6. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member

thanks so much.. i didn't know that. I will backup my device and do a system reset.

7. Strings

Strings Well-Known Member

Once you rest (or maybe check before you do it)

settings:personalization: finger scanner

It's the bottom of the yellow personalization list at settings

8. Belshazer4

Belshazer4 Lurker

Why would encryption prevent fingerprint scanning?

I was using the fingerprint scanner until I added my work e-mail account. It is an Exchange server and the group policies require the device to be encrypted and to use a password or code. I thought the password/code requirement was what stopped the fingerprint scanner from working to unlock the phone.

I can still use the scanner to access some Web sites and to make payments with Pay Pal, just not to unlock the phone.

9. Githyanki

Githyanki Lurker

It may be the exchange policy that is preventing it from working. To connect to an exchange server without taking all of the policy's they try to enforce (password length, type, encryption, lock timeout....etc) try cloudmagic.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudmagic.mail

10. zombdroid

zombdroid Android Enthusiast

Do you know if you are using MDM software? If so, what is the brand? Maas360? Meraki? something else? We have it set so you can use fingerprint devices to unlock the phone for Exchange.

11. Belshazer4

Belshazer4 Lurker

Thank you for that link.

I don't want to take a chance on my employer finding out that I have bypassed their polices. That would be grounds for dismissal and/or worse. I work for state government.

I am going to try to get them to change the policy and add fingerprint scanning as an acceptable unlock method.

Personally, I think that fingerprint scanning would be more secure than a password.

12. Belshazer4

Belshazer4 Lurker

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I'm going to try to get them to change the policy to allow fingerprint scanning.

By the way, I love the quote that you have in your signature. It is so true. And scary. And sad.

13. zombdroid

zombdroid Android Enthusiast

I just checked with IBM on their support for Samsung's fingerprint reader and they stated it is on their road map, but no ETA. In order for this to work in this case, the MDM admin would have to remove pass code enforcement and trust the end user to keep the fingerprint unlock in place.

The functionality is built into Samsung Knox. I am going to ask my company to purchase this option...after all, I use my personal device for work.

14. gemmydn

gemmydn Member

Ate there any tricks to get finger scanner to work? I'm having a hard time. I get it to work but than it won't accept it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews