1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

finish activity on stack

Discussion in 'Application Development' started by satb, Jun 14, 2010.

1. satb

satb New Member

Apr 16, 2010
    I have a very simple use case. On the first activity (lets call it activity A), I have two buttons. One button for "sign UP" the user. The other button is for "sign IN". If the user taps on the "sign IN" button, then the username/password is form is presented. If the user successfully enters the username/password, then I don't want activity A anymore on the stack. On the other hand, if the user enters the wrong credentials on the "sign IN" screen, then I still want the user to be able to hit the back button and go back so I give the user an opportunity to "sign UP".

So the question is, from the "sign IN" screen, how can I finish activity A if the credentials entered are valid?

Put simply, root---(starts)--->A---(starts)---->B. Based on some event that occurs in activity B, I either need to keep or finish activity A. Is this possible?

Advertisement

2. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    WidgetLocker developer
    Chicago
    Not sure about your specific use case, but I think it'd be doable with either:
    Activity.finish();
    or
    Activity.moveTaskToBack(boolean nonRoot);

Activity | Android Developers

3. satb

satb New Member

Apr 16, 2010

Thanks Kevin. For me to do an Activity.finish(), I have to have a reference to that activity. In the example I have -- where activity A starts activity B -- when I am in activity B, how can I get a reference to activity A so I can finish it? Please note that its only when an event happens in B (successful login), that I decide that I don't want A anymore on the stack. Otherwise, A still has to be on the stack on an unsuccessful login

4. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2010
    WidgetLocker developer
    Chicago
    Ah, I understand your problem now but I don't have a good answer.

A possibility:
    In ActivityA initialize a SharedPreference, say "registered", to false.
    ActivityB sets this to true when appropriate.
    ActivityA's onResume() checks and calls finish() on itself if "registered" is true.

It's possible that will cause a double activity change animation or ActivityA to flash onto the screen or something though. And might delay getting back to Activity0.