1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Finished rooting. Total noob. What now?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Avidist, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Avidist

Avidist Lurker

Okay so let me start by apologizing for posting another thread like this, because I'm sure people have asked this question before. The only problem is looking back through old stuff, the information may or may not be up to date, and I have no idea how to tell.

So I just finished rooting my ZTE Avid 4g. I have a data plan and everything (if that matters).

I'm interested in installing a custom rom, and maybe a custom kernel (if those are the correct terms).

Here are some of my goals:

Uninstall bloatware
    Improve battery life
    Obtain an easier/more pure android experience
    ???
    profit

I've heard good things about cyonegenmod (or however you spell it), but honestly I have absolutely NO idea what the differences between any of these roms are. I heard about custom kernels through a youtube video which would let you over/underclock your phone. I could use some help.

I am very COMPUTER literate (mostly windows, worked in PC repair shops over the years), but have hardly any experience with android.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codyedmonson

codyedmonson Android Enthusiast

First your going to want to flash a recovery. I recommend TWRP, its the most user friendly recovery, there are other Recovery's such as cwm touch and all that but its a pain for me lol. LINK: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=716281

After that, make a backup to your sdcard of your stock rom.

After that your going to want to flash a custom ROM, I recommend cm10, its the most stable updated version of android there is for this phone. LINK: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=848107

Note that your also going to need to flash gapps for android 4.1, look that up on Google or I think if you check that post I made a comment with the gapps your need to flash. Hope this helps!

3. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

Rom Backups are your friend. 😊 we call them nands or nandroids.

I suggest an app like Titanium backup, as well. You can use it to backup apps and such, not the rom itself. You can also use it to freeze apps you are thinking of uninstalling before you actually do. It's good to search what apps can be uninstalled without issues but if you find out different you can unfreeze them and be good to go.

Make sure you only flash stuff that is exactly for your specific phone. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

ZTE Avid 4G Forum

The ZTE Avid 4G release date was December 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1730mAh battery.

December 2012
Release Date
Reviews