1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Firefox 9 on ICS

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by SharpBarb, Dec 26, 2011.

1. SharpBarb

SharpBarb Member

I was looking into an alternate browser and tried out FF 9 on my Galaxy Nexus. I've experienced a.number of issues. So far its the only application that has crashed my phone (control buttons went away and everything). It seems to crash when the browser is open and the phone goes to sleep. The browser doesnt show up in then application history. Also, i couldn't post to this.forum from that browser (text did.not show up in the text box).

I wonder if this is a problem with ICS or if its more widespread. What are other folks experience with this browser?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Are you using the Aurora nighties?

They are in the process of re-writing the whole thing, and the nightly "unstable" builds are actually quite stable. Plus, you can ignore the upgrades when you find one that works and have it installed alongside regular Firefox.

3. snapcase

snapcase Android Enthusiast

First time hearing about Aurora... does it support flash or have a way to switch user agent yet?

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Not sure about Flash but I cant find a user agent switcher. However there seems to be much more add-on compatibility. So there may be a good add-on to do that.

I'll have to admit though personally I use the stock ICS browser and keep Aurora as an alternative to mess with.

5. snapcase

I downloaded and tried out Aurora for a few minutes. Entered about:config in the url field. There's no string for user agent, but adding a string called "general.useragent.override" without quotes lets you set a useragent string. I tried a firefox one. It worked and I wasn't getting the mobile sites, but it was all a bit buggy. Flash didn't work.

I like the ICS browser more than anything I've tried so far (since the original Dolphin browser doesn't work well with ICS), but I hate having to do the about:debug thing every time I load the browser. Also, no flash videos seem to be able to play full screen. Don't know if it's a bug with the browser or the latest version of flash, but it's frustrating. And if it's flash that's buggy who knows if they'll fix it since they said they're ending support for mobile.... but I digress.

alostpacket likes this.
  6. UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks Android Enthusiast

Firefox is trash anyway. Use Opera or Dolphin.

7. snapcase

Can't get flash videos to play full screen in Dolphin or Dolphin HD either. Haven't tried Opera yet.

EDIT: Just tested Opera out a bit... can't change useragent at all, and doesn't seem to work with flash at all. (just got missing plugin windows)

I'm getting kinda bummed out. Upgraded to a phone miles faster with more features... but crap browsing capability.

EDIT 2: Ah, I was using Opera Mini Mobile... now testing Opera Mobile.

EDIT 3: Ok, Opera Mobile doesn't work, and neither does Skyfire. Guess there's something going on with flash on ICS that's causing videos to bug out when made full screen.

8. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member

OK, seriously, there's a lot of FUD being spread here.

Both FF and Opera Mobile have had ways to set the user agent since last summer.

Opera Mobile: Settings -> Advanced -> User Agent

FF: Install an add-on called Phony. Once you've added it, you must restart FF before it will work. I agree this won't seem at all obvious to people who don't use FF on their desktop, where add-ons are half the fun.

Both are good browsers. Opera Mobile does Flash and displays pages quickly. FF won't do Flash, but has far and away the best page rendering of any browser I've tried.

Crashdamage likes this.
  9. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

+1 to the above. He is correct about user agent settings.

Firefox is my default browser. Best UI of all. And I couldn't care less about flash. It has no future anyway so might as well get used to life without it.

10. snapcase

As I'd said, opera mini, not opera mobile, doesn't do flash and user agent switching. I tried "Phony", and even after restarting Firefox (and even the phone) it didn't work.

Regardless, no browser I've tested so far is playing flash videos full screen on ICS. But again, that could be an issue with flash not the browsers.

11. SharpBarb

SharpBarb Member

i'm not using FF Aurora , but i am using FF beta. still has some quirks . i tjink i will try out dolphin for a while....

12. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member

Did you go into Phony's settings and set the user agent to "desktop"?

If that doesn't do it, power down the Thrive and restart it.

13. snapcase

I would have if the settings were accessible. The addon was non functional. Options was greyed out. Besides, even if it worked I'd still be unhappy with Firefox Mobile for its lack of flash support. (It's far from obsolete and html5 is barely being used for video)

I'm hoping that maybe adobe will release another update to fix some of the issues on ICS. I have to assume at this point it's a fault in Flash Player since it happens in all flash enabled browsers.