1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Firefox Addon can't be removed?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by B positive, Mar 14, 2016.

1. B positive

B positive Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    Hi,
    I am struggling with a problem that makes no sense to me. I hope that someone can help me rectify it.
    I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet and installed an video downloader app which worked with Firefox. This was great and allowed me to download videos and view them when I was offline. It worked by a little icon appearing in the navigation bar of the browser when a video was playing. Selecting this icon allowed me to download a video and all worked well. Terrific.
    However, I then downloaded a second app which promised more features. Somehow, this app seems to have removed the original app and downloads videos in a format that I can't get a player to play.
    So I uninstalled the second app, cleaned out cookies, caches, etc and tried to reinstall the first app. However, when I'd play a video, the icon from the second, uninstalled app would still appear and the videos would still be downloaded in the format I couldn't play.
    Frustrated, I then uninstalled Firefox and then reinstalled Firefox and the video addon. However I am still getting the downloads in .mp4 format and unable to play them. The original videos were in .3gp or.webm or .mp4
    I do not understand what I need to do to get the functionality that I need back.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated
    Thank you in advance

BP

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    If all else fails, you can play these using vlc media player or MX media player.

B positive likes this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    When you uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox, did you tap the 'Clear data' button first before tapping the 'Uninstall' button? (Note that this will also clear any Settings you've set in Firefox).

As an alternative suggestion if you're using the default media player on your Yoga is to try something like MoboPlayer or VLC. Both can handle a really wide range of file types/codecs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clov4r.android.nil.noplug&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc

B positive and Dannydet like this.
  4. B positive

B positive Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    Hi Dannydet,
    I actually have installed both VLC and MX Player to try and play these videos.
    Neither are able to play them, although they will play the videos downloaded by the first downloader.
    This is one of the things that I find so strange about the problem.

5. B positive

B positive Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    svim,
    I didn't tap the clear data button before I uninstalled.
    I will try this now and let you know the result

6. B positive

B positive Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    I tried tapping the clear data button before uninstalling, but found the same thing happening. I still can't play the downloaded videos in the default android player, MX player or VLC. Very frustrating!!!!!

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Have you went into Firefox settings and uninstalled the addon?

B positive likes this.
  8. B positive

B positive Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2016
    It is not listed in the add ons.The only add-on listed is OpenH264 Video Codec which it says is automatically installed by Mozilla.
    I presume that this is needed by Firefox