• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firefox mobile is on its way in "the coming days"!!!

I am stoked... this is the first new news I have heard about the release in about a month!

Also, about the pinch zoom... remember... Mozilla is open-source and prides themselves on the support for 3rd party add-ons. Expect the same thing from their mobile version. Think about all of the download helpers, themes, FTP clients, etc that you see on their desktop version. It will be literally a matter of days before there is a download to add pinch zoom, I am sure.

Keep the faith!

Upvote 0
I would love to see what FireFox looks like and feels like on the DROID. I'm hoping they will eventually incorporate multi-touch as I am a fan due to that feature in the Dolphin Browser. :cool:

Don't care about pinch to zoom but the article didn't mention anything about flash support. I really want it built in to the browser. :(
Of course it will "support" Flash. But from your statement, you obviously don't understand what Flash support is. :(

Until ADOBE SYSTEMS releases a version of Flash for Android, we will not see it "supported" in any browser. Mozilla can't write it for us, the dev for the Dolphin browser cannot, nor can Motorola, Google, or Verizon. Make sense?

Upvote 0
Drifting slightly off-topic, but along the lines of Flash...

Adobe Labs - Adobe Flash Player 10.1

“Motorola is excited to be one of the first handset manufacturers to ship Android based devices with Flash Player support early next year,” said Christy Wyatt, vice president of software applications and ecosystem at Motorola. “As the No.1 platform for video on the Web, uncompromised browsing of Flash technology based content is essential for a rich mobile experience and something users expect from Motorola today.”

Upvote 0
If I was a dev, I would try to port their beta just for the fun of trying.

Actually, I might anyway. It will just take me hours and hours of reading to even figure out the first step.

I know that android is not Linux based... not as people think of it anyway. It wouldn't just simply work, unfortunately. But honestly... I wonder if there is a way to actually port it.

Upvote 0
This quote is a year old:
The recently announced Firefox web browser Fennec, which is just in to its alpha version, can’t be developed for Android. Said Jay Sullivan, the Vice-President for mobile at Mozilla, that according to the Google’s requirements, all the apps listed on the Android Market must be developed only in Java where as Fennec uses AJAX. He admitted that if Google allowed to run apps on the operating system with out the need to be written in Java, then they would be interested in developing the Fennec for Android.

This quote is half a year old:
Last week, the Android Native Development Kit was released, allowing developers to code their apps in C or C++, rather than using the Java virtual machine apps had been running on to date. This new tool has tickled Mozilla’s fancy, and they’re now considering bringing their in-development mobile browser, Fennec, to Android as a result. Before this, Mozilla had ruled out [Android] explicitly because of this roadblock, but having greater access to native code libraries could blow that complaint square out of the water.

And now this:
The browser will be available to download from the Mozilla website and then offered in Nokia's Ovi store, so that N900 owners can download the software. The organisation is also developing versions for Microsoft's Windows mobile and Google's Android operating system.
It seems to me that the imminent Fennec launch being discussed is for the Nokia platform -- but that an Android version is indeed in the works.

Just as interestingly, this is a clear indication that it now seems feasible to create non-Java Android applications!

Upvote 0
I would love to see what FireFox looks like and feels like on the DROID. I'm hoping they will eventually incorporate multi-touch as I am a fan due to that feature in the Dolphin Browser. :cool:

Of course it will "support" Flash. But from your statement, you obviously don't understand what Flash support is. :(

Until ADOBE SYSTEMS releases a version of Flash for Android, we will not see it "supported" in any browser. Mozilla can't write it for us, the dev for the Dolphin browser cannot, nor can Motorola, Google, or Verizon. Make sense?

LOL. I do not disagree that I do not fully understand what flash support is. I actually saw your other post regarding flash and Adobe Systems after I posted my post. Well I think it was you. And it actually helped me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones