1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Fires raging in SoCal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MoodyBlues, Aug 9, 2013.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Choose compassion over cruelty
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Right now the "Silver fire" is raging near Banning, Palm Springs, Cabazon, etc. It's moving EXTREMELY fast and overtaking people and structures just like that. It started yesterday; as of now it's at 14,000 acres:

If you're in or near the affected area, please follow any evacuation orders, and do it IMMEDIATELY. This fire is moving very quickly, so getting out as soon as told to is really important. One person who wasn't that lucky has been burned "very, very badly...head to toe." Have your family, including your pets, ready to go on a moment's notice.

Sending good thoughts to any AFers in the fire area.

Advertisement

ocnbrze likes this.
  2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

That sounds awful :eek:

As you say, those fires can move insanely fast: in Australia last year many people were killed because they hung around too long then found their cars were unable to out run the flames - you really need to get a LONG headstart - like a few hours!

3. MoodyBlues

It's actually gotten worse--now there's a second fire, this one is somewhat west of the first, but between the two they're just crazy.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Everybody take care of yourselves and stay safe! Heed the warnings if you are asked to evacuate.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert

Should I be childish when other areas get earthquakes and the Californians are all, "Haha it was just a little one"? No, I shouldn't I helped fight the fires in Colorado last year. Not fun.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. MoodyBlues

Thanks for helping fight those awful fires in Colorado.

As for the earthquake thing, yeah, I know what you mean. And I'm guilty of it. My excuse is that I've lived through some REAL earthquakes (6.5 and above), so when I hear about something like a 3.0 I just can't get all that excited about it.

But I'm an equal opportunity eye-roller. :eek: I'm back home in SoCal now, but I lived in several other states, including Florida--where I got to experience a hurricane, and Texas--I lived in the Dallas area, AKA Tornado Alley. So when my fellow Californians moan and groan about horrible humidity (like 20%), or the local stations go on 'storm watch' (because three raindrops have been sighted), I can't help but laugh. :rolleyes:

7. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert

They always need people that can do manual labor. Once I told them I had access to 30 million gallons of water and the trucks to move it I got put in charge of that boondoggle.

But doesn't the A train in NYC put off a 4 on the Richter scale?

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Let's hope no one gets caught in a firestorm. 19 the last time and 14 here in CO years ago. Too damn many.

ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.