• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Firmware F

Swainsmith82

Android Expert
Aug 10, 2012
Texas
Something I'm wondering if people understand about "F" the main change from "E" was the GPS. If you're having trouble with GPS working on certain roms it could be because it's not based on version "F". I had version E on my old phone for a long time after "F" came out I always had trouble locking on to GPS. Once I finally upgraded that phone to "F" the problem went away.

Something I'm wondering if people understand about "F" the main change from "E" was the GPS. If you're having trouble with GPS working on certain roms it could be because it's not based on version "F". I had version E on my old phone for a long time after "F" came out I always had trouble locking on to GPS. Once I finally upgraded that phone to "F" the problem went away.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. I just bought another motion in June for my gf, and that phone came with firmware f. The GPS doesn't lock like firmware d. Which is why I'm going to be downgrading it back to d. :)

Upvote 0
I haven't tested the others, but I'm using Firmware D and my phone locks location RIDICULOUSLY well. With my old motorola cliq, I used to have to walk around outside and make sure I wasn't under any trees just to pick up. It was terrible.

You may want to make sure "Google's Location Service" is enabled under Settings -> Location services. I get much worse results when it's off.

Upvote 0
I haven't tested the others, but I'm using Firmware D and my phone locks location RIDICULOUSLY well. With my old motorola cliq, I used to have to walk around outside and make sure I wasn't under any trees just to pick up. It was terrible.

You may want to make sure "Google's Location Service" is enabled under Settings -> Location services. I get much worse results when it's off.

"D" works fine.. Something happen from D to E with gps so F was the fix..

Upvote 0
Have a question... I am on c.. what would be best i am thinking of upgrading but want to make sure i am on a firmware that will be good for roms and kernals...etc

In my opinion, F is the best to start from. Once you flash everything though, others have found and now so have I, that c modem is fastest. So if it were me, I'd flash that over whatever rom or firmware you're on. Im not for sure if it still holds true, but you did have to be on F to flash Shabbys kernel.. Just FYI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones