1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Firmware too new?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DrGreene, Dec 19, 2011.

1. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

I can't seem to root. I've been at this for hours, I've uninstalled nearly all the apps that I am able. What do I do know. My Android version is 2.3.3.

Please help me.

There is an alert in my bar at the top of the screen telling me that USB debugging is connected. Does that matter?

If I had HTC Sync installed on my computer, would I be able to see it in my uninstall programs box?

I'm a lost noob. I really want to root this phone. What do I do?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast

this is the procedure that you want to root your phone..

ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  3. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Read the Guide at least 3 times before attempting. Also make sure to download the files needed prior to starting. Anything that you don't understand please ask. The only dumb question is one not asked. We can get you rooted.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

I've already started. The tool gives me the error about forward being too new.

5. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

What is your Hboot?

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

if your hboot is 2.15 or 2.16, you will need to use revolutionary. just follow the guide linked earlier. it sounds like you are trying to root with unrevoked which will not work with the newer hboot. it only works for hboot 2.10 or less.

also you do need to have usb debugging turned on on your evo. also make sure it is set on charge only as well. just follow the guide from start to finish.

any questions you have please feel free to ask.

argedion and DrGreene like this.
  7. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

S-OFF if that matters. Hboot 2.16.0001 Damn. I already did the whole bit with the drivers, do I need to undo that or do I still need that to be that way?

Do I need to uninstalll the driver stuff that I did for the revoked setup? Did that make any changes to my phone or just my computer?

Thanks for taking the time to help me guys.

8. ocnbrze

wait you have hboot 2.16 with s-off? that does not sound right. were you rooted before? did you accept an ota?

9. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

Yes. I don't know? I don't think so because I can't delete Sprint Nascar from the uninstall apps area. I bought this from a guy on Craigslist.

How would I check if I'm rooted?

10. ocnbrze

ok you have s-off which basically means that your phone's security is turned off. then next step to being root is to get nand unlocked (which is what the superuser app does) and get a custom recovery. the odd thing is that your hboot is 2.16, that is an unrooted gingerbread hboot. when you root with revolutionary it will change the hboot to 6.16. so the only way that i know of to get this is that the phone was rooted (most likely with froyo) at some point and then an ota (over the air) update was done to change the hboot to 2.16 but it did not unroot the phone.

so lets check and see if you can get into recovery. power off then press and hold power+vol down (you might need to uncheck fastboot. settings/app/uncheck fastboot). this will take you to the hboot menu. select recovery and report back what you see.

11. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

Ok. It goes to the white HTC evo screen, then to a pic of the phone with what looks like a green refresh symbol for a second and then to the same phone icon/pic with a triangle and exclamation mark. It is now at that point. Should I restart and take of fast boot or is that enough info?

The phone doesn't seem to turn all the way off when I hold the power button and hit the shutdown option. When I do that I can't do the power/volume bit to get to the hboot screen. I have to remove the battery, put it back in and then do it.

12. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

Also, if it matters, I believe the guy got this as some type of insurance situation. It came in that little refurb box.

13. ocnbrze

you can reboot the phone now if you like.

ok so looks like the previous owner could not get the phone to be s-on (securities turned on) which is fine you are almost fully rooted. the hard part is getting s-off. so all you need now is to get a recovery on your phone.

go to the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html and go to the switching recoveries section. follow the directions there to get you amon ra recovery put on your phone. once you have a recovery you can then get your flash on:D and flash some roms.

14. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

So once I have the amon recovery, where do I start with the flashing?

Do I have to undo the drivers stuff that I did with the revoked rooting process?

15. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.

Also, how do I do this step? Do I need to do the factory reset on my phone?

16. ocnbrze

you do not have to with the drivers, but they are not needed any more. so if you want to you can unistall it from your computer.

and personally i would flash mikg2.61. it is so much better then stock. here is the download:MikG v2.61 - [11/23/2011). download the 2.61v and not the patch version.

before you flash the rom, make sure you read the guide. it has a flashing section and a how to guide by argedion that will help you understand the flashing process.

17. ocnbrze

no you do not need to do a factory reset.

and to transfer the file over to the phone, you need to connect the phone to the computer via usb cable. also make sure that you have selected disk drive on your phone.

18. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

Wait what? Do I need to flash? How do I transfer that file - I don't see the card when I connect as disk drive?

Also, can you answer my other post question - the first one where I quoted you? I'm sorry, I'm really lost.

19. ocnbrze

ok lets slow down first lets get you amon ra installed. so when you connect the phone and you select disk drive, a pop up window should open on your computer with the cards content. this is not happening? you might want to try and reboot your computer and try again.

20. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

1.download the file.
    2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
    3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
    4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
    5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
    6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
    7.select recovery.
    8.select backup and restore and select backup

Ok. I'm that far. I have no 'backup" but I do have "Nandroid backup".

I also have Nandroid recovery and a back up and a restore google propriatary system files.

21. ocnbrze

select nandroid backup

22. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

Done. Do I do something with the backup file? WHat next? Am I rooted?

Honestly, my immediate goal here is to get rid of bloatware. Sprint crap, etc.

23. ocnbrze

yes you are rooted now. ok so lets get you a rom that will all of that stuff off for you. downloead this rom:MikG v2.61 - [11/23/2011). download the 2.61v and not the patch version.

once that is downloaded transfer the file over to the card. and while you are in the card make sure you erase the PC36IMG file as you do not need it any more.

once on the card go into recovery. now to get there you need to uncheck fastboot in settings/apps/incheck fastboot. now you should be able to fully power off then press and hold power+vol down.

next go into the guide and follow the flashing section's instruction on how to flash mikg2.61.

24. DrGreene

DrGreene Newbie

OK. I was lead to understand that once rooted, I could get rid of that stuff without putting a rom on here. Am I correct in believing that Cyanogen is also a rom or have I way misunderstood things?

When you say go into recovery, what are you meaning that I should be doing?

Do I need to do anything with that backup or just leave it on the sd card?

I don;t see the superuser premissions app.....

25. ocnbrze

yes you can, but flashing a rom is pretty easy and mikg is waaaay better then stock. plus you have to be careful on what you delete. i guarantee you that you will love mikg. it is much faster and smoother then stock plus it has all of the bloatware removed and it has the sprint's hotspot hacked so you can tether for free.

but if you want to stay on stock then you need to flash the su file found in the guide. to give you permission to delete or alter the system files. otherwise you will not be able to delete the bloatware on your phone. so either way you will need to flash something.

and recovery is what you just installed and used to make a nandroid backup. by press and holding power+vol down and then selecting recovery, you are going into amon ra which is your recovery. recovery is where the magic happens. it is where you flash roms, kernels, and mods or themes on your phone. it is also where you make nandroid backups which is a snapshot of your phone's current state. nandroid backups are great for if something goes wrong or you hate the rom you are on you can always go back and restore one of your backups.

and the nandroid backup should stay on your card for now.

so it will be up to you if you want to try mikg or not. if you want to stay on stock that is fine. either way i can help you if you want.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews