• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firmware Update

zixxorb

Android Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2014
On the moon
Today my Event told me it had a firmware update and was downloading it (about 30 minutes ago). However I cancelled the download.

Does anyone know anything about this update? Am I going to loose root? And if so, does anyone know if I can get it back?

So far, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else online so I figured that I'd ask here.

If no one knows what it does exactly, is there a way that I can make a back-up then upgrade and compare the two? Maybe even downgrade?

And another thing, could this help at all with unlocking the boot loader?

Last but not least, do you recommend that I go ahead and update? And has anyone else updated yet?

Yes be very cautious cause I did a update to my tablet brand new and it had a 4.4.2 update . now the WiFi messed up, rotation is messed up and battery life is now a problem with the tablet . they said send in we will refund u the money . when I asked the manager told me that the update was a problem and they wont have fixed no time soon.so watch out with updates .

Upvote 0
The update worked for me. Pulled my Event out of storage and rerooted it, as I was playing with a few ROMs with my LG Optimus F3. The only thing I noticed was an extra option for using the phone as a hotspot/tethering. Otherwise works the same as before. Don't pay attention to that other poster.

If you can, download the update via wifi.

Upvote 0
Can anyone confirm that the July 2014 firmware update for the Kyocera Event won't brick/break a rooted phone?

I'm worried that the update might be a byte level patch, which could break any modified phone :) (as opposed to a file level patch, which will probably work, or a full image patch).

Perfect would be if any uber wizard could find the patch file and see what it is ;)

Bonus points if anyone can find out the changes in this patch, or a link to official release notes?

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
Hi!

"Pulled my Event out of storage and rerooted it"
Did you root it before or after the update?
Did the update 'unroot it' ?
Did you have any other changes to the system partition other then having it rooted? e.g. uninstalled system apps etc.

as I was playing with a few ROMs with my LG Optimus F3
What was the relevance of this? Is this why you had it in storage or so?

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
No need to worry. My Event is fine. I upgraded to the F3 because it was on sale, and I could justify my own
reasons for using it.

The noticeable difference is that tethering is included with this update. It will update even if you have removed a lot of the extra software that is preloaded. Poot and ministro will still work to root the phone, as will any other method known to work.

Have a nice day. :)

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I still don't trust it :D

Figured out where the update files go before they update it, it's in '/cache/delta/', when it's still downloading it looks like this:
Code:
drwx------    2 system   system      4.0K Sep  3 10:10 .
drwxrwx---    5 system   cache       4.0K Sep  3 10:03 ..
-rw-------    1 system   system       240 Sep  3 10:03 .block_header_buf.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system       574 Sep  3 10:10 .delta_header_serial
-rw-------    1 system   system        26 Sep  3 10:03 .header_buf.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system        82 Sep  3 10:47 .offset_serial
-rw-------    1 system   system        81 Sep  3 10:03 Alt-OTA_dlcomplete
-rw-------    1 system   system     59.9M Sep  3 10:47 temp_android_delta.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system     13.4M Sep  3 10:10 temp_boot_delta.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system         0 Sep  3 10:03 ueclient_running
What worries me is that it's in a folder called 'delta', and has several files called ...delta.bin. Suggests to me that it might still be a binary level filesystem patch, the kind that really don't like you having messed with the filesystem ;) (Even if you may get lucky? :) )

Mayby I'll stick those files on dropbox or so when their done, I can't figure out what is in them, mayby someone else can :)

Upvote 0
It's done now (downloading, I'm still not updating :p )
These are the resulting files:
Code:
drwx------    2 system   system      4.0K Sep  3 11:44 .
drwxrwx---    5 system   cache       4.0K Sep  3 10:03 ..
-rw-------    1 system   system       240 Sep  3 10:03 .block_header_buf.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system       574 Sep  3 11:44 .delta_header_serial
-rw-------    1 system   system        26 Sep  3 10:03 .header_buf.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system        82 Sep  3 11:44 .offset_serial
-rw-------    1 system   system        81 Sep  3 11:44 Alt-OTA_dlcomplete
-rw-------    1 system   system      5.5K Sep  3 11:44 amss_delta.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system    117.8M Sep  3 11:44 android_delta.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system     13.4M Sep  3 10:10 boot_delta.bin
-rw-------    1 system   system         0 Sep  3 10:03 ueclient_running
I've put these on my dropbox for now, if anyone is interested.
I'd love to know what these files are/contain exactly :)
Also, they're not gonna stay in dropbox forever, feel free to mirror and post a link to them for the benefits of others ;)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qhs95pdy8e6h8mq/AADrxEiPCk-HQDYlWFMiljx7a?dl=0

Upvote 0
Had some time yesterday to mess with my Event. Got a notice to update the firmware, so I let it load. Took about 50 minutes for my phone to get the entire thing. Yes I know I'm hosting the file on my Dropbox... was a little lazy about loading it. Did a bit of homework for classes while it loaded and installed.

Once rebooted, I got an error message saying it wouldn't load. I think in another thread, someone said that enough of the system software needed to be present to make the update work. Anyway, not a big deal for me. My phone works fine, and at least I have the latest system update. I pulled out my phone to use as a streaming device/backup to my LG Optimus F3.

My Event is still rooted. Does anyone have the update with root privileges?

Upvote 0
Had some time yesterday to mess with my Event. Got a notice to update the firmware, so I let it load. Took about 50 minutes for my phone to get the entire thing. Yes I know I'm hosting the file on my Dropbox... was a little lazy about loading it. Did a bit of homework for classes while it loaded and installed.

Once rebooted, I got an error message saying it wouldn't load. I think in another thread, someone said that enough of the system software needed to be present to make the update work. Anyway, not a big deal for me. My phone works fine, and at least I have the latest system update. I pulled out my phone to use as a streaming device/backup to my LG Optimus F3.

My Event is still rooted. Does anyone have the update with root privileges?

I get the same error message.
I wish we could figure out a solution to this.

Another idea, can this firmware update possibly help us get custom roms? Like modify the update files to do something (like install a custom rom or something)

Upvote 0
I get the same error message.
I wish we could figure out a solution to this.

Another idea, can this firmware update possibly help us get custom roms? Like modify the update files to do something (like install a custom rom or something)

I highly doubt it with this phone. Getting a custom ROM on any Android device is only worth the effort if the bootloader can be unlocked, or an exploit like Loki is proven to work for a particular device. Firmware updates don't usually help with unlocking the bootloader, unless the manufacturer allows it with an update.

Loki is the exploit that's worked with several Samsung and LG devices, including the LG Optimus F3 (my daily driver). There's still no custom ROM for the F3; all the ROMs out for it are based on the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 source for that phone. Several custom recoveries do work for the F3, including a TWRP and a couple of CWM based ones. There is one dev trying to make a CM based rom, but last time I checked, it's failing to boot up fully.

So, same story as always for the Event/Rise... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I highly doubt it with this phone. Getting a custom ROM on any Android device is only worth the effort if the bootloader can be unlocked, or an exploit like Loki is proven to work for a particular device. Firmware updates don't usually help with unlocking the bootloader, unless the manufacturer allows it with an update.

Loki is the exploit that's worked with several Samsung and LG devices, including the LG Optimus F3 (my daily driver). There's still no custom ROM for the F3; all the ROMs out for it are based on the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 source for that phone. Several custom recoveries do work for the F3, including a TWRP and a couple of CWM based ones. There is one dev trying to make a CM based rom, but last time I checked, it's failing to boot up fully.

So, same story as always for the Event/Rise... :rolleyes:

This sucks lol. I wish we could make some progress...

Upvote 0
Might be able to answer part of my own question, since I found this:
Find and update the software version on your Kyocera Event

1.010VM 06/11/2014
  • Mobile ID client updated to support downloads over Wi-Fi
  • Sprint Zone Enabled
1.005VM 05/09/2014
  • Initial release

My phone is still at 1.005VM, which is 'stock', I assume the new update is the '1.010VM' :)

Can people report what version their at? Especially on rooted phones? :)
The version shows in 'Software version' in 'About phone' in the system settings.
If it still shows '1.005VM' the update did not take :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
My software version shows as 1.020VM. I had an update pushed to my phone a few weeks ago. Mine is from Virgin Mobile and not rooted.

Great, but I noticed that your location is in Canada. That version may not be pushing to Virgin Mobile users in the U.S. I haven't gotten a notice recently with my Event. Mine is still at 1.005.

Upvote 0
Might be able to answer part of my own question, since I found this:
Find and update the software version on your Kyocera Event

1.010VM 06/11/2014
  • Mobile ID client updated to support downloads over Wi-Fi
  • Sprint Zone Enabled
1.005VM 05/09/2014
  • Initial release

My phone is still at 1.005VM, which is 'stock', I assume the new update is the '1.010VM' :)

Can people report what version their at? Especially on rooted phones? :)
The version shows in 'Software version' in 'About phone' in the system settings.
If it still shows '1.005VM' the update did not take :)

Cheers!

I'm rooted and my version is 1.005VM. It shows the update but I get that damn error message upon restarting after the download finishes. :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones