• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Firmware Versions

i love this community and i cant remember how i stumbled across it and why i browse it so much lol

i would imagine these links to ii5 are some of the first so theyll take a hammering when news spreads

edit, doing a search on the net and a few sites are linking the rapid share links your put up sephail but none of them credit you.

maybe you should password and readme the zips in future?

Upvote 0
On another note, there's something people who are trying to flash a CSC/firmware that don't match (i.e., one that wasn't officially paired by Samsung) should know: you won't be able to use NPS to upgrade in the future. What NPS is looking for is a specific combination of CSC and firmware to provide an upgrade path. If you mix and match your own, it won't provide you with an upgrade. Of course, you could just use Odin to flash one of the older version and do the upgrade via NPS that way. (Or just get all your firmware upgrades on the forum.)
I was suspecting so, but anyway, does that mean you won't be able to upgrade your phonee via NPS if you bought your device carrier-free?
On another note, NPS version number looks like should pair your CSC, but then again, I had IH4 but I couldn't upgrade it via NPS to II5 because I got an 'unsuported device'.
Anyway, I decided to upgrade to II5 without CSC, since I had my first problems with Android market after CSC-ing my Galaxy on last update.
(my Galaxy is german, but I use it in Spain)

Thanks for all the hard work sephail

Upvote 0
Hi, Can anyone actually confirm that they don't have an issue with the market after upgrading to I5 without the csc?

According to this thread the market issue is back with I5. Apps Missing in Market since FirmwareUpgrade from Samsung Galaxy - Android Market Help

I currently have H8 with a German csc (I bought the phone from Germany so I don't have a problem with that) and everything's working fine including the seeing protected market apps).

Does anyone know what is included in I5 and if it's actually worth upgrading? Especially as 1.6 firmware will be released soon.

Why are there no release notes to go with these firmware updates? This is very poor support and PR from Samsung.

Upvote 0
i can still see everything after flashing although i made sure i deleted the cache image as i got hit by this last time when using the csc cache for h8

im in the uk. i can see uk paid apps and ebuddy now with ii5

this goes with what i was saying all along and ressu finally confirmed this. Cache holds more information that just provider specific settings and as such can affect things like market etc

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing a link between csc and the market. I bought my device carrier free and initially had no market access, I've since with h7, h8 and now i5 on both h7 and h8 I initially couldn't see vertain apps like ebuddy and osmap, however they appeared the other day and installed fine, they are still visible in the market now on i5. I've never had a csc file flashed to this phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, this is quite confusing and annoying.

This issue is more than just location related. The csc I have now is German (I upgraded to H8 without removing the csc cache.img file) and the market shows protected apps (after lots of complaints to Google, the market issue was fixed).

I can't believe that with every firmware update, the android market will stop working!

Not using the new csc will simply leave me with the German H8 csc (which does not have the market problem), so I think I'll stick with H8 firmware until Samsung release something official. I'm getting tired of upgrading blindly only to be hit with new problems. The phone is quite stable and responsive now (only problem is OpenGL 3D).

However, thanks to all the guys who have spent time providing upgrade files that Samsung should have been providing and supporting officially.

Upvote 0
i can still see everything after flashing although i made sure i deleted the cache image as i got hit by this last time when using the csc cache for h8

im in the uk. i can see uk paid apps and ebuddy now with ii5

this goes with what i was saying all along and ressu finally confirmed this. Cache holds more information that just provider specific settings and as such can affect things like market etc
same here

EDIT: after performing a factory reset (due to another problem), I just realized some apps are again missing on android market...FFS!

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing a link between csc and the market. I bought my device carrier free and initially had no market access, I've since with h7, h8 and now i5 on both h7 and h8 I initially couldn't see vertain apps like ebuddy and osmap, however they appeared the other day and installed fine, they are still visible in the market now on i5. I've never had a csc file flashed to this phone.

There is a link between CSC and the market. I initially assumed that they weren't connected at all. But after taking apart the CSC package shipped with the firmware I had to change my opinion.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/9533-problem-i7500-turns-only-second-two.html#post55532

Upvote 0
Hi,

First post so be nice (-: I got a Galaxy on release day from O2 UK, and have been lurking on the forums here for a few weeks. Hello! Just thought I'd share my experience here.

I've Odin-updated the phone from its stock H6 firmware to H7, H8 and now to I5. I've never applied any CSC files, so the branding is as shipped.

I didn't immediately see a problem with the market because I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for, but by the time I'd graduated to H8 I realised that I was affected (noteably "Record It", the paid-for remote recorder for Sky+ was missing, also the ubiquitous but woefully named eBuddy).

Checked my phone yesterday (running H8) and noticed that the problem had fixed itself. "Great," thinks I, went to purchase Record It and realised that my payment method needed setting back up, didn't have my wallet and figured I'd do it later.

Got home last night, flashed up to I5, then went to buy my app and - it's disappeared again.

So, presumably with each firmware revision, it requires Google to update their database to allow the new firmware / CSC pairing? Is there anything we can do about that, or is it just a case of sitting and waiting it out each time?

Upvote 0
From my experience and what others are saying here, there is no link between csc and market.

It looks more like there is a link between firmware version and market, but I don't know for certain.

What is certain is that the problem is 100% on Google's side. They have admitted this and both Galaxy and Hero users in Europe have had problems with accessing protected apps on the market.

Perhaps Google are trying to prevent access to the market from unauthorised firmware.

Upvote 0
i did not factory reset my device this time but i can still access them all
if its not csc related this time then thats a good thing as it means google will update the code eventually. it is something they will need to sort out effectively though as updates for this phone come out every week lol

gmail sync was having problems for me today and yesterday on h8 and i5 so i would assume its to do with googles sync servers and not the firmware itself

menu transitions seem alot faster on this version

Upvote 0
Rasta, myself and a mate who has paid for gmail accounts had issues with Contacts yesterday. It was google, not the phones.

My phone is still as received from O2. I'm hesitant to update anything manually. I'd rather hassle Samsung until they sort out their software (emailed them today).
yeah i know, i was replying to a poster who mentioned sync issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones