1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support First android - exchange questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tb582, Jul 23, 2011.

1. tb582

tb582 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Just getting onto my first android phone... I have a bb for work but I'm wondering if I can also get my work email on my android so I don't need to carry two phones...

I was n e process of setting it up the other day when I got to the last step and a message come up saying that I had to allow access for remote wipe, pins etc... I don't like the idea that my company might be able to tap into my personal data/email etc. Is it possible that my company could block android all together? Would they have a way of knowing?

While searching google I came across an app called touchdown which claims to work around all these remote wipe/pin issues on the phone and only enabling it in the app... What's the deal?

Advertisement

2. tb582

tb582 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Anyone?

3. tb582

tb582 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Bump one last time before I move on

4. Poncho Villa

Poncho Villa Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    My work location also maintains a "mobility opt-in" policy for non-company assets. If we want to use a personal device to synchronize our e-mail, contacts, tasks, notes, etc. then we must first have approval by our supervisor and then agree to the "remote wipe, pin, etc." This is to give the company some assurance that if your phone is lost or that you terminate your employment that you cannot take company-proprietary information with you. I don't know if it gives them the ability to pry into the personal business that resides otherwise on my phone but I don't worry about it. If they want to know badly enough what I do on my time then perhaps they've got too much time on their hands and perhaps we can reduce head count in IT.
    As for the "touchdown" app, I've never heard of it nor would I personally use it. Although it's annoying to lock down my phone with a pin requiring me to enter a pin every time I want to use it, I feel like it's a small price to pay for the ability to synchronize my contacts & calendar. If I ever leave my place of employment, I don't care to take their information with me anyway.
    I'm not sure that I fully answered your questions and hopefully someone with a little more experience will come along with a "touchdown" answer. Good luck!