1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support First Android, what to do first?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alekia, Aug 21, 2011.

1. alekia

alekia Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hello everyone, I have been reading these forums for a little while now, all about the Prevail as I wait for mine to get delivered. I bought it off Ebay, it's already rooted. AFAIK, that's all that's been done to it so far. I'm actually a little sad that it's rooted already... messing with things like that is what I look forward to about having my first Android the most.

So, after having a rooted phone, I was wondering what would be the next best step for the best performance? Such as, Shabbymod first? Really, I wonder what would be the best order to do things in.

And also, one thing that I'm sort of kicking myself in the ass over is the worry that if something goes wrong, I won't be able to take advantage of the manufacturer's warranty since I'm not the original purchaser. Any advice on that? If the seller hadn't registered the product himself already, could I and then be able to use the warranty? Though, I don't have a receipt, so probably not. Just hoping I won't ever have to use the warranty.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Big kudos and thanks to everyone who has been working on this phone. For me, if it couldn't be rooted and modified, it wouldn't be half as cool or fun as it is. Or seems to be, haven't actually used one yet. :)

Advertisement

2. Rally 517

Rally 517 Android Expert
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    michigan
    Just call customer service and see if you can put insurance on it.

3. DaddyZap

DaddyZap Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Selling stuff
    Boston
    Buying something like that should always come from a trusted source hopefully you get a brick or somebody elses problem. I would put titanium back up, sdbooster, and vmheap tool, than shabbymod on first than cwm next. Maybe a custom theme ....

4. kevincott

kevincott Android Expert
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Observations I have:

1. Battery life is at a premium (some people have to recharge every 12 hours)

Turn off GPS, wi-fi, Bluetooth as much as possible. There is a great stock widget for easy access

Watch for battery draining apps. I recently uninstalled Yahoo mail app and returned to stock email; stock mail app has better options to limit mail checking.

You can easily get 1-2 days from battery charge if your careful.

2. Keep your battery cool; Prevail will reboot if battery gets excessively warm.

3. shabbymod is geat; there is plenty of info in the root section.

4. Read threads/posts and test sufficiently; many question are already answered in posts or can be self resolved by personal testing.

5. Registering the product SHOULD be useless as activating to any account lets Boost know who is the first owner

6. I would highly recommend wiping all previous data.

alekia likes this.
  5. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
  6. fcortes626

fcortes626 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    FedEx and Auto tech student
    Los Angeles
    what does boost activation have to do with that? boost isnt the manufacturer. he is asking about samsungs waranty not boost. lol :D

7. alekia

alekia Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Fortunately, the phone works fine and the seller is going to send me the receipt in case I ever need it. Best ebay transaction I've ever had, by far.

Something I'm looking for and not really finding much info on it. What is the best way to read ebooks on the Prevail? I had been looking at the Moon+ Reader but I really just want a way to read files that I already have, and the process of getting them to the phone. Which format would they have to be in?

8. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    hmm you lucked out, I happen to use moon + reader and like it does a decent job.
    It will open txt files epub html and I believe one other.
    it will not however do pdf.

I found a converter Calibre that will convert just about any type to epub, and others. I used that for pdf and the various others that dont work.
    As to how to get to the phone, create a folder called books on the sd, attached to computer via usb and copy all your files into it moon reader will use that as the default book folder.