• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Apps for your phone

Beautiful Widgets has a nice weather widget.

middle.png

That it does! BAH! I may have to cave in and buy it! Already on my list: Nesoid, GBCoid, Rombuddy, and now this. Great. lol.

Upvote 0
Skip the task managers....do some research before you use one.

No reason to skip using one however you should research how to use one. Not sure why everyone hates on them so much; and yes I am fully aware how Android and Unix O/S's operate. Agreed that having them auto close everything is bad however there are times when I want to close specific apps which it works great for doing. I have never run into any negative issues having one installed and properly configured and used on any of my Android based phones.

Upvote 0
No reason to skip using one however you should research how to use one. Not sure why everyone hates on them so much; and yes I am fully aware how Android and Unix O/S's operate. Agreed that having them auto close everything is bad however there are times when I want to close specific apps which it works great for doing. I have never run into any negative issues having one installed and properly configured and used on any of my Android based phones.

I got my X on July 1 and went a week with a properly setup task killer and then a week, until launch without one. Things were smoother, faster and i had fewer "hiccups" without it installed.

Upvote 0
I'm using Salling Media to sync my iTunes to my Droid. Technically this is not a Droid specific app.

Droidwise here's a list of some apps I am using:

AppBrain App Market
Fast Web Installer
Missed Reminder
Quick Settings
LauncherPro
Setting Profiles
Astro
Apps Organizer
NewsRob
Slacker
NYTimes
Huffington Post
Fox News
Fox News Radio
ESPN ScoreCenter
Dropbox
Evernote
MixZing
Movies (Flixster)
Redbox
TV.com
Where
Yellowbook
WeatherBug Elite
Beautiful Widgets

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried Launch-X - it just launched yesterday. I just found it on AppBrain

YuviDroid

It looks like some other apps in the market that shrink icons to fit more per line. Looks sweet. I might have to pop $1.50 to try it. Or, the free version only allows 5 icons vs 7 per line.

I swear I'm not a shill, just excited 'bout my Droid X and all the possibilities. The Eris had such limited memory, I was always switching out apps on the phone.

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried Launch-X - it just launched yesterday. I just found it on AppBrain

YuviDroid

It looks like some other apps in the market that shrink icons to fit more per line. Looks sweet. I might have to pop $1.50 to try it. Or, the free version only allows 5 icons vs 7 per line.

I swear I'm not a shill, just excited 'bout my Droid X and all the possibilities. The Eris had such limited memory, I was always switching out apps on the phone.

this looks sweet. I'm going to try it out tonight on my wifes ally. I think things start to look too cluttered with 7 rows for icons though so whether I go free or paid/ I'll probably only use 5

Upvote 0
this looks sweet. I'm going to try it out tonight on my wifes ally. I think things start to look too cluttered with 7 rows for icons though so whether I go free or paid/ I'll probably only use 5

Tried it...the free version...ehhh. The paid version looks like it would be much better, but since I'm only using 3 screens now, I'm not about to run out of room. Here are all my apps:
Doit2it's Apps on the phone

Upvote 0
I had a very cool app on my incredible. I think it was a google beta app. You could just start writing letters on the screen with your finger one at a time full screen and it would search your phone to find the file. Apps, music, contacts whatever. Anyone know what i'm talking about and where to find it?

Sounds like Gesture Search by Google:
- Gesture Search - Android app on AppBrain

There's also a new Graffiti app for those that have used that style of writing via a Palm device:
- Graffiti for Android - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
Yeah, I wish there were some kind of "Beginner's Guide to Android" somewhere, for us Android Newbies to learn the basics and get up to speed on the essential apps. That would be nice.

Here's one I found very helpful for getting a newbie basic Android information. Sorry if someone already gave you something like this, I just responded before completing the thread.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/184659/master_google_android_40_tips_and_tricks.html

Upvote 0
I'm waiting on my replacement Droid X (first phone had hardware issues and kept dying), can I buy Beatiful Widgets today and put it on my Droid to see how I like and then somehow not pay to put on the Droid X when I get it?

Yeah you have 24 hrs to refund a purchase.:D
To refund it just find it in the market then click uninstall/refund
If you keep it when you sign in to your google account on the X it should show up in your downloads as purchased. Then you can just install it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones