• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First battery charge

Hi willie8, welcome to Android Forums.

A lot of device manuals recommend charging overnight for the first charge out of the box. The manual for the Galaxy Tab 2 doesn't specify so you can go with what works for you. The speed at which it charges will have more to do with the charger. The greater the amps, the faster the charge, however, charge too fast and you'll overheat the battery and possible cause damage (including the possibility of setting it on fire :eek:).

The chargers that ship with these devices are usually balanced for the optimum power, so I'd probably stick with that for the first few charges. That will give you the best indication of how long it will take. FWIW it could be as little as an hour and as much as 8 hours from 10% to full. Keep in mind you never want a battery to go to 0% charge. It could ruin the battery.

Upvote 0
And that should take how long?

Sorry i didnt realise you were asking for a time. As Lunatic says, that depends on the charger current and battery capacity. Also it depends on what youre doing on the tab while it charges. For a rough guide of how long a charge should take, maybe see if theres a tab2 forum on here and ask someone who owns it.
Is it the 7" or 10" btw? Just coz im considering buying one so id like to hear some first impressions :beer: thanx

Upvote 0
Keep in mind you never want a battery to go to 0% charge. It could ruin the battery.

Is that true bro? In what way? :beer:
I think android shuts down at 1% (or a certain voltage) anyway so it has enough power to do a clean shut down but ive never heard about fully draining a battery ruining it

Upvote 0
Is that true bro? In what way? :beer:
I think android shuts down at 1% (or a certain voltage) anyway so it has enough power to do a clean shut down but ive never heard about fully draining a battery ruining it

4: Avoid completely discharging lithium-ion batteries

If a lithium-ion battery is discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, a safety circuit built into the battery opens and the battery appears to be dead. The original charger will be of no use. Only battery analyzers with the boost function have a chance of recharging the battery.

Source

At least that's the way I understand it. I have seen batteries so deeply discharged that they will not charge at all.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Thanks man. Id never heard of that :beer: i suppose though, at the same time, an android device will never let the cell fully discharge.
Maybe this is why water damaged batterys sometimes die, like they get shorted and fully discharge?

Not sure about the water damage bit, but when your device is telling you 0%, it's really 4 or 5.

Likewise, it's not really fully charged at 100% either, more like 95 (although some kernels can change this).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones