• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Droid Eris update makes the slow OTA rollout starting tonight

This is correct, Lithium-ion batteries don't have memory effect. I've seen a lot of people mentioning conditioning here and I never commented. But when I first got the phone, I read up a bit on this and it's definitely an unnecessary process for us. :cool:

The manual does say that "some batteries perform better after several full charge/discharge cycles", but I wonder if that doesn't have more to do with calibrating the battery meter to the battery? Just a wildass guess.

Upvote 0
This is correct, Lithium-ion batteries don't have memory effect. I've seen a lot of people mentioning conditioning here and I never commented. But when I first got the phone, I read up a bit on this and it's definitely an unnecessary process for us. :cool:

It is noted in the phone manual that the phone may perform better if gone through several full charge / discharge cycles.

So while the Li battery industry may state it's not necessary, the manual itself notes that it may help. :cool:

Upvote 0
The manual does say that "some batteries perform better after several full charge/discharge cycles", but I wonder if that doesn't have more to do with calibrating the battery meter to the battery? Just a wildass guess.

It might just be stock HTC copy. Some battieres do perform better with conditioning: Ni-Cad or NiMH.

Upvote 0
I doubt it is stock copy. While I agree L-ION battery do not, even should not, be fully cycled like suggested, it is well know to keep calibration with a meter or gauge on a device it IS recommended to do a full cycle usually once a month.

This may be the difference some see in a new phone/battery when cycling, the recalibration of the battery meter shows a more accurate and often more full battery charge.

Upvote 0
Also, as noted, they don't always list all the issues. Plus, they may know of issues but still be working on it. As I stated in other threads, the phone has been out less than 45 days. We're ALREADY getting a patch, and another next month. How can you expect more?

Good point....it took them almost a year to update the crappy Storm the right way, at least we are getting quick updates here. Gotta hand it to VZW, they seem to be a different carrier these days. I would expect another update pre 2.1 - to correct any other performance issues.

my battery lasts all day now - but with certain maintenance. Clear cache, force stop apps I dont ever use, etc...TOGGLE SETTINGS has been a godsend

Upvote 0
yes. Before the update i could start at the top and unlock. Now i have to swipe below or on the grey. Which is annoying.

why did they change it

On other threads I've seen people complaining because it was too easy to accidentally unlock the phone in a pocket or purse. I'd guess that this change was to make that harder to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones