• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First five days with my Panda Pixel 2 XL.

Mittar

Nov 16, 2011
Denver
Just thought I'd give my first few days' impressions of this phone. I waited about 6 weeks to get it after pre ordering on opening day. I intend to use this phone for a good two years, so I wanted to make sure I got the color I liked, and I love it! I never use a case with my phones as I like the naked look.

Pros:
Build quality:
This thing is beautiful! I love the minimalist look of the Panda color. It feels great in the hand, and flips up into the hand easily, which is a nice change coming from my 6P, which you had to pick up by the edges. When picking this phone up by the edges, I often trigger the edge sense, so flipping it into the hand is nice. Also, the choral colored power button is a fun touch and gets comments.
Screen: Either, I won the screen lottery, or the issues are vastly overblown, or both. This screen is beautiful! Yes, there's blue shift, but so what, I almost never see it, and if I do, it doesn't offend me. I'm not watching videos at an angle, and not using my phone as a multi person device (no one is looking at it off angle). I have it on saturated mode, as the boosted mode is noticeably dull.
Camera: Believe the hype, it's amazing. Portrait mode is so much better than what the iPhone does, as the iPhone tends to aggressively blur the edges of the head and shoulders, while the Pixel keeps the details in focus.
Battery: Under normal use, this phone is a clear battery winner. I took it off the charger yesterday at 8:30, and at 12:30 it was still at 100% with minor usage. Checking notifications basically. It uses significantly more while playing any kind of games, but still probably uses 1/3 as much as my 6P.
Other: It's a pixel, it flies, it's water resistant, it's got front facing speakers, it's got double tap to wake (which I use constantly), and the AOD is great. fingerprint sensor is super quick as well.

Cons:
Power Button sensitivity:
The power button is kinda tough to press in comparison to the 6P. The only time it's an issue is when I double press to launch the camera, as I usually wake the screen with a double tap.
Headphone jack: Minor issue for me as I've been using bluetooth headphones for years. And I NEVER listen to music on the phone speakers, it's always a bluetooth speaker or car speakers.
Screen corners: sometimes hitting the "x" to close a web ad requires a tap all the way at the corner of the screen, which seems less sensitive than the rest of the screen. It happens often, but i've also heard from people that it happens on other phones with rounded screen corners as well. So might not be a Pixel issue.
Google cards: For some reason my stock card is missing after the latest update, and I can't figure out how to get it back.
Reboots: In the first two days that of phone use, it rebooted while I was using it twice. I haven't had it happen since, so I'm hopeful that it won't. It's kind of a big deal though because I'm job hunting and I'd hate for this to happen during a phone interview.

Summary: I love this phone, it's a pleasure to use and looks great. I'm happy with Google's responses and fixes to the issues as they crop up and hopefully they've learned their QC lessons for future releases.

Only thing I have to add is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the squeeze function.

I have it on the least sensitive setting, and it's about as easy to trigger as I want it now. Still easy with a good squeeze, but far fewer accidental triggers.

I went friend shooting with the camera on this yesterday and my friends were all blown away by the quality of the pictures. Portrait mode was a huge hit. I had one friend ask if I could take pictures of them for their xmas cards soon, and two iphone users were asking me about switching, just for the camera.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
Nice! Just don't let them read any blogs about it.

I told them the story. Including that I returned one I probably didn't need to just because of paranoia. They were so geeked they didn't care.

Tom was taking pictures of his kids with it and then asking me to email them to him, it was cute. He's a Samsung guy - er WAS a Samsung guy. Her aunt - die hard Iphone user, but no more. She literally ordered hers while we were there on Saturday, Tom emailed me Sunday afternoon to say he'd ordered and got the free mini, he uses ATT so he didn't need the $100 credit.

Reactions: Mittar and Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones