• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First impression coming from a DINC

Patsum

May 9, 2010
I have had my X for a while now.
I came from a droid INC for 2 months..
a sony ericson K800i before

here is what I thought so far

-Battery life is amazing for any smartphone. I get over a day using the damn thing instead of worrying about 3G being on or off

-Screen , Its big and the res works for it, everything is sharp and clear including text and pictures. BUT it is no where near as rich or vivid as the AMOLED I came from and I dearly miss that screen. so thats worth noting, but you can read it in the sun!! unlike my AMOLED

- Call Quality - This is why I returned my damn Incredible that couldnt do that one thing a PHONE should. Make clear consistent calls. My INC had the worst sound quality ever from the ear piece or loud speaker or blue tooth. THE DROID X IS AS GOOD AS A CELL PHONE GETS WITH CALL QUALITY. This is all I have to say. Party's say I sound clear as a bell and to me SO do they!! The Loduspeaker is not as loud as my DINC but I can understand everything they say. I love the DX for this.

Software - My god..motorola you suck at software...its laggy and clunky and hard to get away from when I came from a clean slick HTC SENSE device. The hardware is not at fault but the software..the camera is the worst offender. I use Launcher Pro but still. Some things cant be made up for. FIX IT MOTOROLA. hire people from HTC for software..cuz your doing it wrong.

Pictures and Video - 720P video with 3 mics is all I could ever want on a cell. Recording quality is Great but not perfect and audio recording is brilliant. My DIC had the worst sounding piece of junk mic you ever heard. I can record concerts with my DX now. the noise cancellation works well but not perfect. My DINC video quality was awful compared to this. SO videos are great. Video playback as well is wonderful. 720P videos play smooth and well. My DX is playing Xvid Files natively? amazing!!!
For photo's.... I like the camera for a cell..but my DINC did a better job with still pictures. IF i put my X on a solid surface like a tripod and take a picture its wonderful, as good as my DINC. So maybe a future update will make this better. The flash on my X is not near as strong as my droid INC.
I would put the DINC camera at 8/10 for photos compared to a real camera and the DX camera at 6.5/10 for everyday non tripod photos...

I am torn whether I will keep my X or go back to an INC. This is a great phone and fast but it is not perfect with lots of room to improve.

Pro's for me -
Great call quality
great battery life
big screen
solid build design
EQ built into the music player
HDMI and wireless N
Use the LED as a flashlight is perfect

cons for me-
awful moto software and browser
3G speed issues compared to my INC
Quiet speakerphone and ringtone volume
weak vibrator notifications
Camera has awful Blur issues with little correction controls
screen washes out from side to side. no where near AMOLED quality
no T9 Text support built in
Unlock screen is laggy

I can answer any questions or comments.

Nice review. Unfortunately I've had a different experience with earpiece and speakerphone quality. Both seem extremely low for such a big phone. My Inc. has always delivered great call quality and clarity through the earpiece and speakerphone. I actually have to turn the volume down when on call or listening to music. The Droid X is the exact opposite. I have tinkered with the media equalizer settings and can't tell a difference in loudness or clarity. With the enhanced multimeadia capabilities of this phone I would have expected atleast Droid1 quality. I'm disappointed because I wanted to love this phone. I may check a few more at the store before I return it to see if I possibly got a lemon.

Upvote 0
I sold my inc to a friend today. It was a great phone with a great amoled display.

I have no regrets with the X. I have more battery than the inc with the same capacity.

Some people don't realize that they have two different processors. The X has a smaller die, more power, and less power consumption over the inc.

I have been using my X all day, with nav EVERYWHERE on my commute, lunch, and playing "evo vs iphone" HD youtube videos endlessly for my friends that have "heard" of that video, but never saw it. Lot's of laughs.

I have 60% battery left after this day. AMAZING.

Upvote 0
I returned my Incredible to wait for the X on June 30th after having it for 30 days and I gotta say, I miss that device. Maybe it's just in my head, but everything on the Incredible ran without a hitch. I've always used Launcher Pro, but I can feel slight lags in the X's system. Also, I thought the Incredible ran hot...man, the X runs even hotter. At least the battery life is better.

Overall, I'd get the Incredible the edge for a few reasons.

1. Design - the X looks too...spartan. HTC native apps look a lot better. I use Launcher Pro, but wouldn't mind seing Sense UI on the Motorola devices.
2. Software-Hardware synergy...everything seems to run smoother.
3. Browser - pinch zoom resize looks better and the browser seems to run smoother.

Anyhow, I think I'm stuck with the X because Verizon allows you only one return.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones