• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Impression of Pixel 4

2oldseniors

Dec 7, 2015
first off if you lose your pixel 4 look under your mashed potatoes! I came from a nexus 6p its big! but pixel 4 grows on you size wise! so if your wanting a bigger phone you might want to opt for the Pixel 4 XL!
yes where did all the buttons go at the bottom? I miss the back arrow already this new pixel relies on 2 arrows accessed from left/right sides of screen to exit the current app to get back to main screen its a learning curve.
all are upset with battery size go to a carrier store of pixel 4 and upon viewing it becomes obvious why battery is smaller!
but I played with it for 6 hrs straight and it still had 24% battery left and for me this is okay as am sure how I use it will last longer as constantly using a smartphone not so much. for those of you who are constantly working a smartphone strap a battery charger on and a extension cord you'll need it.

navigating the main screen and opening closing an app takes some getting used to its all about your hand now and they put 2 arrows hidden but if you swipe left or right across screen it closes the current app and returns to main screen it so far matters not where on screen sides you swipe it seems so far to work anywhere along its length.
using the new swipe to change music tracks takes some practice they say look for a line folks forget line look for a minute white fog that once you see it and move hand from right to left it glows somewhat and looks like an ocean wave as you move hand across the screen I don't see me using this feature.
I think the always on display if disabled will aid in better battery life longevity and ironically in settings it says it will use more battery and you might want to turn it off.
I will say the screen is smooth and fluidly moves found no lagging in this I have however run into at times I want to open an app on main screen and it opens to a pop out window with choices of what to do this occurred after using it awhile and I made no settings change to make this happen and yet as fast as it started it went into cyberspace and apps started opening again normal maybe a software glitch?
and not sure where the free photo backup went to if you pre ordered early as so far I show 15 gbs of storage for phots not the advertised free 3 months 100gbs! but will figure that one out later.
I am wishing I did not get the case cover from google its not a screen saver type so buyers beware seek a real case cover that will take the hard knocks and will better protect the screens face the google case is no more than 1/32 of an inch above the glass screen! and they are slick as in slide out of your hand slick!
all in all I am pleased with the purchase of pixel 4 and my wife who has small hands held mine for awhile and the fit is good for her!

first off if you lose your pixel 4 look under your mashed potatoes! I came from a nexus 6p its big! but pixel 4 grows on you size wise! so if your wanting a bigger phone you might want to opt for the Pixel 4 XL!
yes where did all the buttons go at the bottom? I miss the back arrow already this new pixel relies on 2 arrows accessed from left/right sides of screen to exit the current app to get back to main screen its a learning curve.
all are upset with battery size go to a carrier store of pixel 4 and upon viewing it becomes obvious why battery is smaller!
but I played with it for 6 hrs straight and it still had 24% battery left and for me this is okay as am sure how I use it will last longer as constantly using a smartphone not so much. for those of you who are constantly working a smartphone strap a battery charger on and a extension cord you'll need it.

navigating the main screen and opening closing an app takes some getting used to its all about your hand now and they put 2 arrows hidden but if you swipe left or right across screen it closes the current app and returns to main screen it so far matters not where on screen sides you swipe it seems so far to work anywhere along its length.
using the new swipe to change music tracks takes some practice they say look for a line folks forget line look for a minute white fog that once you see it and move hand from right to left it glows somewhat and looks like an ocean wave as you move hand across the screen I don't see me using this feature.
I think the always on display if disabled will aid in better battery life longevity and ironically in settings it says it will use more battery and you might want to turn it off.
I will say the screen is smooth and fluidly moves found no lagging in this I have however run into at times I want to open an app on main screen and it opens to a pop out window with choices of what to do this occurred after using it awhile and I made no settings change to make this happen and yet as fast as it started it went into cyberspace and apps started opening again normal maybe a software glitch?
and not sure where the free photo backup went to if you pre ordered early as so far I show 15 gbs of storage for phots not the advertised free 3 months 100gbs! but will figure that one out later.
I am wishing I did not get the case cover from google its not a screen saver type so buyers beware seek a real case cover that will take the hard knocks and will better protect the screens face the google case is no more than 1/32 of an inch above the glass screen! and they are slick as in slide out of your hand slick!
all in all I am pleased with the purchase of pixel 4 and my wife who has small hands held mine for awhile and the fit is good for her!

You should be able to turn the old back/switch apps button back on. Wife hates the new way so she went back to old way. It is in the gesture options. See here for a quick help article: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7443425?hl=en

Upvote 0
Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I think you need to install the Google One app to sign up for the 3-month 100GB trial:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.subscriptions.red

Once you get that set up, you can also schedule a Google One-exclusive Pro Session if you'd like to have someone walk you through using the phone or need some help with getting things set up just right:
https://support.google.com/googleone/answer/9450522
so that's what that is sitting in apps area thanks will investigate that hey its kinda free and after that use the other one to save photos but then since 2015 I have 10 pics on the last and now current pixel 4 yep after I don't use the pics poof into trash and empty it.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones