1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

First Impressions: Galaxy S20 Ultra (MKBHD)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rob, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Administrator Thread Starter

olbriar and NightAngel79 like this.
  2. olbriar

olbriar  

The camera specs are simply insane. I hope that equates to quality.

3. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Right?! The zoom feature they showed at the Samsung event was SICK. But as MKBHD said, apple and google been killing it with a 12mp camera, so we need real world results.

4. olbriar

olbriar  

My business partner and I have a business account with Sam's Club and Costco. Today Sams sent us an enticing email with a $200 Sam's Club e-gift card and a $200 Samsung credit for pre orders for the Ultra. He has a sammy S8+ and is thinking about upgrading. I was telling him what I know about the S20 and mentioned the camera zoom... something that is cool but I'd not likely use. He got all excited. He's a bird watcher of sorts and thinking about the pictures he might get with that crazy zoom. I expect him to make the leap.

NightAngel79 and Unforgiven like this.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

That zoom would be epic for bird pics. He probably wouldn't need the 100x except for gleaning details for identification, but in the 30-60x range I bet he could get some killer pics.

olbriar likes this.
  6. NightAngel79

Administrator

With an additional $200 sams gift card I would be all over that. I might have to check Walmart and Sams, and Costco. We might need a best Pre-Order perks thread :)
    Did either of you all see the 100x Zoom example they showed in the event? It was bad*ss. Will try to find it

Start here: they do 2 examples

olbriar and Unforgiven like this.
  7. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

They show the 100x camera zoom at 37 minutes, pretty cool.

8. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Thanks @Rob!
    Did he say a couple of terabytes of storage, 2000 gigabytes? That would store all my physical CD and DVD media.

9. NightAngel79

Administrator

The video starts at 35(ish) :p
    512 internal, and *up to* 1 TB SD card (if you have 300-400 to drop on it)

kate and Unforgiven like this.
  10. Unforgiven

Enough for 30 seconds of 8k video. :p :vroam:

kate likes this.
  11. NightAngel79

Administrator

Probably. I did think it was interesting when he (MKBHD) explained how the s20 and s20 + does 8k much different than the Ultra. So not near as good on the 2 cheaper devices.

12. Unforgiven

I can't watch the video at work. Is it not near as good, or is it that much better on the Ultra? I mean, does the S20/S20+ record better than other phones, and the Ultra blows them out of the water, or does the S20/S20+ do a poor job on 8K video.

13. NightAngel79

Administrator

The short version is the main shooter on the 2 cheaper devices is a 12mp camera. 8k video 'requires' at least 33mp (or something liek that), so when you shoot in 8k, you are using the 48mp telephoto camera, which crops in and doesn't have as good a sensor. The Ultra has that monster 108mp main camera so when you shoot in 8k you are actually using the main (best) camera. MKBHD explains it WAY better in this vid, or maybe the S20 one, but that is how I understand it.

Unforgiven likes this.
  14. Unforgiven

So only the Ultra is true 8k while the S20 is filling in the blanks in some areas. I'm sure it will still be fantastic.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  15. NightAngel79

Administrator

For sure. And it would be fair to say all devices are 'true' 8k. 2 of the devices just dont use the main camera to achieve this, so not near as good 8k catures. Still massively impressive though..

Unforgiven likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra release date was February 14th, 2020. Features and Specs include a 6.9" inch screen, 108MP camera, 8/16GB RAM, Exynos 990 processor, and 5000mAh battery.

February 14th, 2020
Release Date
Reviews