• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First impressions tab owners??

I do not own the Galaxy Tab, but got to play with one at Verizon for about a 1/2 hour. My main concern was if a 7" tablet will be too small. It is not, I just LOVE the size!! The screen is fantastic! The operation is smooth. The keyboard is real good. The Galaxy Tab feels great in the hand.

The display model I played with had access to the Internet, so I tried a lot of sites. Everything work fine, flash worked fine. The Galaxy Tab is a nice tablet.

I may have discovered a problem with getting Android tables from Verizon. The display model did not have the Android Market, did not have the Media Hub, and did not have the Reader's Hub. It did have the VCast Store, VCast Music, and VCast Navigation. If Verizon will do this to all its Android tables, I will not be buying my tablet from Verizon!

The only reason I'm not getting the Galaxy Tab from any carrier is because I know what is coming.

Upvote 0
I may have discovered a problem with getting Android tables from Verizon. The display model did not have the Android Market, did not have the Media Hub, and did not have the Reader's Hub. It did have the VCast Store, VCast Music, and VCast Navigation. If Verizon will do this to all its Android tables, I will not be buying my tablet from Verizon!

The one I bought has everything, they may have disabled them on the demos.

Reactions: slbailey1
Upvote 0
First things first, I also have an iPad, so I look at it from that standpoint.

I bought the Tab from T-Mo on Wednesday, and LOVE it. My only complaint was that the stock browser was quite a bit laggy with scroll, zoom, etc. for larger sites. I've been using Dolphin HD, and it is quite a bit more optimized. Oh, the only other (minor) complaint is that it picks up fingerprints like crazy. However, the screen size is fantastic, the weight feels appropriate, battery life is good and it's fairly close to being stock Android so very customizable. This is compared to the iPad, that I feel is a little large, quite a bit heavier, and very closed.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I've been using Dolphin HD, and it is quite a bit more optimized
Agreed - Dolphin runs much more smoothly than the stock browser, despite its apparent customisation for the Tab. Opera Mobile is supposedly good for the Tab too but I've not tried that since the (imo poor) beta a few months back.

I love Swype on my HTC Desire, but it doesn't really work so well on the larger Galaxy Tab. SwiftKey on the Tab is excellent though, recommended!

Upvote 0
Agreed - Dolphin runs much more smoothly than the stock browser, despite its apparent customisation for the Tab. Opera Mobile is supposedly good for the Tab too but I've not tried that since the (imo poor) beta a few months back.

I love Swype on my HTC Desire, but it doesn't really work so well on the larger Galaxy Tab. SwiftKey on the Tab is excellent though, recommended!

I tired Opera Mobile for a bit. It felt slightly more laggy than Dolphin.

I still have Swype enabled, but don't find myself using it that much, just pecking out keys. I'm use Swype on my Evo though, so to confuse my brain the least, I may keep it. :)

Upvote 0
I did not buy the Ipad because I want an open system. I therefore jumped on the Galaxy. Have had it for a week now and am in love with it. I'm like a kid in a candy store - first time in years that I'm so excited about a new gadget. The size is perfect for me - my Streak is too small to read on, an Ipad would be too large to carry around to work. I love being able to hold it in one hand, and I love Froyo. I have a few small niggles but on the whole it's superb. Couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
Got mine from VZW yesterday, I'm a Droid X user already so the transition was easy, here's the simple answer I own an iPad as well, and it's not an iPad.

It's so much more - front facing camera, wifi tethering, open source apps, navigation, phone calls via Skype, you name it. I love my iPad, but there is a growing list of things it just cannot do, extremely happy with the Tab so far.

The iPad might be seeing craigslist soon.. we'll see.

Reactions: Tech Addiction
Upvote 0
I also had an Ipad and sold it to get the Tab.

The tab is a much better form factor to me.

The Ipad screen is larger but when I played movies on it the actual size of the movie was not that much larger than the tab cause of the screen ratio. Combine that with the fact that the tab is much better for e-reading, and I can carry it around without looking like a dork, it was a selling point for me.

Price wasn't a huge issue for me. I am more happy with the tab than I ever was with the Ipad...although Netflix and the MLB.tv app are amazing on it...I can only hope the tab gets that kind of support.

For now, I'll resort to southpark studios and loading my own movies on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones