1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

First post....

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by fliberdygibits, Jun 9, 2011.

1. fliberdygibits

None

Jun 9, 2011
    I've been using Android for a while, this is my first post here tho! Looks like a great place to be an Android fan

For my first question, and I'm not sure if this is the right place. Is there some way... an app or setting to set my device to either Wifi or 4G (or 3G) and have it stay there until I tell it otherwise? When I'm at home if my wireless network hiccups.... which it does....... my Android wants to jump over to 4G and sit there using up bandwidth which if I don't notice it overnight or the like can be alot. I've not seen the problem the other direction with it auto sensing and switching from 4G to wireless but I'd like to standardize all this so I can setup some scripting in Tasker.

So in summary, if Wifi goes away is there a way to tell my device "just sit there, don't do anything, it'll be back"?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. foo

foo Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 20, 2008
    IT
    Chicago, IL
    You mean something like this?:

from the home Screen:
    hit Menu key>Settings>wireless & networks>Wifi settings> in this screen hit the Menu key> click advanced>Wifi Sleep policy, and select Never

3. fliberdygibits

None

Jun 9, 2011
    That may be EXACTLY it! Mine was already set to "Never" but I'm going to try setting it to something else, then back in case it just needs to have it's monkey tree shaken. Thanks.

4. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Even if you set wifi to never sleep if you have had weak or lose your wifi signal the phone will automatically switch to your mobile network, unless you turn mobile data off and then just turn it on when needed

Menu-settings - wireless & networks - uncheck mobile network

Oh and to make turning it on and off simpler. I have an app I use called Widgetsoid. Long press on your screen to add a widget then choose the size you want to make for Widgetsoid, for the mobile data toggle I did a 1x1 switcher then the customize menu comes up and you choose what function you want to use it for and you can theme it (change color etc) then under the profile setting you can save it (make up a name for it) next is to apply it (pop up window I always select no)

5. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Like 2manyphones said, you could use tasker to turn mobile data off when wifi gets turned on, and turn mobile data on when wifi gets turned off.