• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First ROM Since Cyanogen to Truly Embrace Open-Source

And just when I had, like the poem, "settled in for a long [BB .2]'s nap." Now there will be flashing to no Flash, just 'cause in my head, y'all are now like the Keebler elves only with android instead of cookies...which I should mention, if you find a way to include E.L Fudge Cookies, I will sing paens in your praise...and my childhood commercial brainwashing is just too great. I mean I can't let the Keebler elves work in vain! (Curse you Snorks...your show wasn't even as good as the commercials.) But I digress, as I am wont to do when not reined in by word counts or deadlines or dealing with lower tier tech help that knows far less than I do about their own products (I'm looking at you Verizon and Dell) or even the occasional urge I get to make myself clearly understood to aid my fellow humans- rare though those occasions are. I shall let you know what I think after I've time to play in your lovely new sandbox. I'll even try not to kick over the castles.

Upvote 0
Scrolling notes on loading:

All nandroided up I commence the update (and how is it that I always end up applying this from recovery, even when I've got ROM manager. Guess I'm just untrusting.) oooh....pretty new boot animation. I do like gemstones, so this makes me happy. Shallow, probably, but happy as well.

Helix2 as an home option??? Oh, yeah, I had it installed in my system, but it's been so long since it functioned post-Froyo that I forgot about it. Opened out of curiosity, but, by the transvestite ghost of J. Edgar Hoover, the lag THE LAG, I'd forgotten about the lag.

I take a moment to think that I was going to go out this evening and do some midnight gardening (the best kind when you are in Houston in the summer.) I should also be getting some more work done. I foresee staying up until long after the sun has arisen doing what I should have been doing before I got sucked into this. Curse you, Keebler ROM Elves (see previous post)!!!

Sonofa randy chinchilla! Google sync is actually syncing for me (a process as rare as a warmongering beauty queen.) Course I'm not sure I want to spend all this time downloading, but it's nice to have a Market that works from the getgo.

Poking my grimy fingers into Dev Tools while I let the downloads skyrocket my data usage. Good gravy, a running applications that actually let you know the com.whatever.you'llneverfindthisuntilyouuselsinadb.hahaha of what's running, which for some reason my running services menu did not always want to do for some system apps. Sweet. Ooh a process limiter. I can see where that could be waaaaaay handy. A touch screen tester labeled "Pointer Location" that I am unashamedly using as an Etch-a-Sketch. Various and sundry handy doodads for developers that being the lazy non app-developer that I am will probably never use. Except the google login service; I've had google go hinky on me before, and this would have rocked. Same for the sync tester. I'm sure others will explore this in more detail later. Moving on...Let's play with some apps, shall we?

This will matter to a few, but ah, even the new 3.1 version of MotoTorch works. I hold heart because I know how hard Eclipse is working, but ah, it is nice to have it again. You know, this seems like a little thing, but dang I'd like it if I didn't have to go back every time to Settings>Applications to check the allow non-Market apps. Something about this security precaution being enabled after I've installed (perhaps not this exact ROM) but let's say...other leaked super-early, fairly unverified ROMs onto the phone...amuses me. Everything seems to be playing nice, which you'd expect from magical ROM elves who don't believe in fixing what ain't broke in the original code. GAAAH! "Incoming Message" I haven't had a audible notification in so long, that the voice scared the bejeebus out of me. The reboot option on the power button is shiny, shiny indeed. Especially getting to reboot into recovery.

OK, well initial impressions are done. I'll think about looking at themes and the like. I'm guessing that this will meld like laying themes over stock, but that's merely a hypothesis at this point. I've got to earn the cashy money afore the eatings of the foods.

Reactions: eclipsed4utoo
Upvote 0
Whoops, here's a screen cap of the dev tools and running processes. Now I'm going to get work done. I swear.

Attachments

• Devtoolscomp.jpg
    Devtoolscomp.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 76
  • RPcompr.jpg
    RPcompr.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
Since it was off the source code for ESE81, I was almost certain it would, but as this was the first time I'd gone back to a 2.1 build with your latest Torch, I'd note it.

So this is an Android 2.1 build and not Android 2.2? I don't really keep up with the ROM scene, and I didn't see it mentioned in the wiki.

Upvote 0
I just ran across another post today and it mentioned Sapphire, I was wondering if anyone had installed it and gave it a test drive yet.

I installed it when it was first released. It only lasted a couple of days. I was using Sports Tap to keep track of a game and it would force reboot on me. This happened twice and I had to restore a nandroid of a different ROM so I could finish the game without reboots. This is the only time I have ever had a force reboot on my phone and I have tried a few ROMS (Cyanogen, Bugless Beast 2.1 & 2.2, NextBeast 2.1, NexFro). Prior to the force reboots everything worked great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones