1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

First Time Android User - Huawei 8300

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by hackBONES, Aug 7, 2011.

1. hackBONES

hackBONES Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    Hey all,

I'm very excited about my new Android phone, the "Huawei 8300". Unfortunately at this stage it's still locked to a provider, but I'll be finalising my current contract with my old phone (Nokia 6760) soon and moving on to pre-paid. I loved my old phone a lot, but it has it's annoyances, namely the 2.5mm headphone jack and no WLAN capability. Hopefully this will be a nice and cheap bridging phone to get me into the Android saddle. Until I can afford an awesome phone, like the one I reaaaally wanted, the HTC Desire Z. What with it's luscious touch screen, slide out QWERTY keyboard and tasty visuals, mmmmn. I'm a big fan of having a QWERTY, makes txt'ing soooo much easier, I'm sure plenty of you would agree.

Anyway, this is my first time using anything of this nature and I'd love people to drop some tips about my phone, things you should know, like shortcuts, usefull APP's and what it's capable of. Also, explain things like, what "rooting" you phone means ? There's a lot of stuff I don't understand. But, hopefully this community will help me along with that sorta stuff. Question, I don't know if it's the phones hardware or not, but the audio output seems to be weaker than my phone, is there an APP that I can download that will break the limiter on the audio volume output ? ...* shrugs

Thanks in advance,
    - hackBONES :D

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, hackBONES.

I looked up your phone model and unfortunately I don't see a sub forum here that specifically caters to it. You may have to rely on our general Android knowledge unless some other u8300 owners can chime it.

As far as your questions go, apps are really useful only if they do something you would like them to do, so maybe if you put out a list of things that are important to you, we can point you to some interesting apps. If you'd like to see the apps I have installed on my phone, you can check out lunatic59's Apps on the Nexus One - Page 1.

"Rooting" is simply gaining administrative rights to the Android file system. It permits you to change the file system in order to make modifications to either the way it runs or looks.

As for your volume issue, you might have media volume set differently than ringer volume. While playing audio, try increasing the volume with the volume buttons.