1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

First time bought android phone(samsung galaxy s10) can you recommend me features to check out?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ersii, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Ersii

Ersii Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2019
    Hi guys, yesterday I have preordered samsung s10 with earbuds, until now I was using just apple but I dont like their products anymore. Can you recommend me features to check out? Im really excited about new phone and I would like to know about all cool features it provides. Of course I have read about some things but maybe Im missing something really useful.

Thank you so much for every recommendation :)

Advertisement

psionandy likes this.
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Before you start getting all excited about features, you should focus on getting all your data moved over and then familiarize yourself with the basics of where things are. That said, I was playing with an S10 in the store and I think you should start exploring the camera features right away. That'll take you at least a week. ;)

bcrichster, svim, Jfalls63 and 3 others like this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I agree, just migrating your data out of the Apple-verse is going to take some effort. Maybe this guide will help:
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ch-from-iphone-to-android-ultimate-guide.html

A good way to familiarize yourself with your phone is to delve into your Settings menu. Every phone model has its own unique hardware configuration and from a user standpoint it will be Settings menu that reflects those differences (i.e. a phone that doesn't support NFC won't have NFC-relative options in its Settings). Just note that a lot of those options may have their own sub-menus so it can get complicated at times to keep track of everything. And don't make a whole bunch of changes at the same time, or at least document what you alter. It's not uncommon there's some obscure function you think you'll never use that may be a very handy thing to rely upon.
    https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s10/specs/
    On different but relevant side-note, for a lot of apps, they have numerous options in their own Settings menu. Some are user interface options, some are feature options to enable/disable. Oh, and there's a long-standing issue with Android as far as finding an app's Settings menu, from a standardization aspect. Some apps use a hamburger icon (three horizontal lines), some apps use a three vertical dots, and they might be located in the upper left or upper right with a few at the bottom so you just need to be flexible when you're initially setting up/optimizing your apps.

If you want to dig into some details on Android Pie (9), Arstechnica has a nice pre-release article:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/android-9-pie-thoroughly-reviewed/
    Just keep in mind that Samsung likes to customize so you'll need to make allowances for any subtle alterations to the user interface. It'll be worth the time getting comfortable with it though:
    https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/one-ui/

lunatic59 likes this.
  4. Ersii

Ersii Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2019
    Wow thank you so much guys especially you svim, thank you for all of these advices Im going to read about things you said right now.

5. Emmanuel Godwin

Mar 7, 2019
    Male
    Tech Blogger
    Lagos Nigeria
    After moving your data.. setup fingerprint unlock.. and reverse wireless charging aka Wireless Power Share

6. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Be prepared for some confusion and a little chaos. But they come with relatively massive flexibility unlike Apple's "big brother" approach of " do it my way because I know better and I am smarter than you" .The more you learn the more you will appreciate android and Samsung's hardware.

You are now free.

psionandy and bcrichster like this.
  7. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Forgot to mention you should give some thought implementing some kind of backup solution. One of the things Apple has over Android is that whole automatic backup/restore system via iCloud and/or iTunes + Time Machine. You might want to try using Samsung's 'Smart Switch'
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch
    Using Smart Switch you can make full backups of your saved data. There's a Backup option in your Settings menu but note that it applies only to your Google settings and Google-relative app settings. It is not a comprehensive backup solution that saves all your data like Smart Switch.

An option that applies only to photos (and videos) is the Google Photos app. It has an automatic backup and sync function that will store your photo library in your online Google account, allowing you to access all your photos on your phone or anything else using a web browser and logging into your account at;
    https://photos.google.com

psionandy likes this.
  8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, and this one gets a few people ... if you've been using iMessage for group messaging, you'll have to turn that off before you switch.

https://support.google.com/android/answer/6156081?hl=en

If you don't, it's going to split any group messages coming from your iPhone friends into individual conversations.

9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Split screen. Samsung's been doing it for awhile now.

10. bcrichster

Jan 23, 2013
    Male
    Electrical, Electronics
    Florida
    After moving data, you can look into Launchers (they control home screen and app drawer) and Icon packs (change style and image of an apps's icon) available at the PlayStore, for starters.. That'll open a whole new world of preference choices and styles.

PitCarver, psionandy and Snakeyeskm like this.
  11. psionandy

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Another shout out for Google Photos.. I love it.
    Gone are the days when i was messing about with cables and sd card readers to get my photographs.. Now I've set it up so my mum can get photos of her grandkids.. as soon as i take them.

(I have a shared photo album with her, and any photos i take with that i think she will like goes straight in there)

lunatic59, svim and Unforgiven like this.