• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

first time htc phone user :S

kiwi0515

Lurker
Dec 9, 2009
Canada
I bought the htc hero [canadian version] about a month ago and I know the basics and what not but I am not to sure of myself for dl from the marketplace. It says I have the 1.5 firmware is there an uprgrade I am unsure about? Also my notifications are being dumb because even after I read my sms it still says I have a text and then it is the same one I just read. Does anyone else have problems? My alarm sound WILL NOT work which is driving me crazy because I was late for school. :mad:

Hey, check the HTC support website to check that you have the latest ROM build, you can find the version of the build you have on the phone by going to:

settings > about phone > build number

Compare this to the build number on the HTC support site.

The firmware refers to the android version you are running, at the moment 1.5 is the latest version available for the Hero, however HTC are working on a 2.1 version that should hopefully be available soon.

Download an app called "volume control", and check what sound level your alarm is set to by opening this app.

Regarding your sms problems, are you using the default application, or an app you downloaded?

p.s. Check out this guide down here too :p

Upvote 0
Welcome aboard!

It says I have the 1.5 firmware is there an uprgrade I am unsure about?

What does it say in Settings-About phone-Build number?

Also my notifications are being dumb because even after I read my sms it still says I have a text and then it is the same one I just read. Does anyone else have problems?
Pull down the notification bar and open the SMS from there - the notification should be cleared.

My alarm sound WILL NOT work which is driving me crazy because I was late for school. :mad:
When you set an alarm, use the volume up/down buttons to set the volume.

Upvote 0
Also my notifications are being dumb because even after I read my sms it still says I have a text and then it is the same one I just read. Does anyone else have problems?

I think that issue is from the HTC Messages Widget. When my SMS notifications dont go away, I just swipe over to my Messages Widget and it goes away. Oddly, it doesn't always happen. I haven't figured out why.

Upvote 0
@ lekky: nope it is the orignal sms that comes on the phone. I have not really dl anything from the marketplace. Thanks I just downloaded that app. and it shows the volume is working. I actually contacted htc and they made me do a reset on the phone which was a huge pain in my arse. But the alarm worked this morning. and they couldnt really figure out why it was doing it.

@ slug: I have been doing that from the begining. but it is just being annoying. And I have been doing that for the alarm to, cuz that is just common sense :p

@ quatumrand: hmm. I will try it thanks.

the build number is: 2.73.661.46 CL#74632 release-keys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones