• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First time root: flash_image not found

big_z

Android Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2009
Kansas
Trying to root for the first time; I ran the one click root app I got from here:

[APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers

and it said it was successfully rooted. I can execute su from adb shell (and the phone pops up saying that unknown has been granted superuser). But I don't have flash_image in /system/bin so I can't flash a recovery image, and I tried the instructions in the link in this post:

http://androidforums.com/sprint-her...ng-bootloader-flash_image-recovery-image.html

(basically download the flash_image, mount system as rw, and push it in to /system/bin)

but it still doesn't work. The mount seems to work (doesn't give any error messages) but the adb push command gives:
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/system/bin/flash_image': Permission denied

I have:
Firmware revision 2.1-update1
Build number 2.27.651.6 CL 169236 release-keys
Software number 2.27.651.6

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

Well, after downgrading to 2.27.651.5 and re-rooting I was able to access flash_image to get recovery loaded. Am now running Cyanogen 6. I'm not ready to say something like "it's a whole new phone" yet, but if nothing else I do like that I (or rather, my keys and USB drive in my pocket) can't unlock my phone anymore by pressing menu twice.

Upvote 0
Time to resurrect an older thread because of my curiosity. I am asking this only for my information really as I know I can just flash to a custom ROM and flash_image will be there anyway, but here goes. :)

I flashed back to my stock Android 2.1 ROM and decided I wanted to try flashing the latest ClockworkMod Recovery version 3.0.0.5 image using Terminal Emulator, so I did the correct commands and whatnot, and lo and behold, flash_image is not found. So, I did some research and found a thread at XDA about copying the flash_image binary into the system directory using Terminal Emulator, which can be found here: [GUIDE] Flash any recovery easily on the phone using flash_image - xda-developers . My question is, will this work for a Sprint HTC Hero rooted using Z4Root, as it says it requires a S-OFF status? My other question is, can I use any flash_image binary for this or is there a Sprint HTC Hero specific one? I know this is all probably entirely unnecessary, but I like tinkering. :D

Upvote 0
Heretic - Bootloader DOES Require S-off

But you can Flash using Method 2 from the Wiki and rom manager...
or just go S-off! .u can find it in CM6 Roms.
Shouldn't have anything to do with z4root

Thanks for the knowledge, man. I may go S-OFF someday, but it is not really necessary in this juncture of my rooting experience. :p

By the way, does Liquid Sense 2.1 have the flash_image binary installed? Are you S-OFF, by any chance, and how hard is it to pull off? :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the knowledge, man. I may go S-OFF someday, but it is not really necessary in this juncture of my rooting experience. :p

By the way, does Liquid Sense 2.1 have the flash_image binary installed? Are you S-OFF, by any chance, and how hard is it to pull off? :)

Liquid Sense should have it.
FYI - Be sure to update your Radio to .29 BEFORE (if you haven't done it)

S-off is VERY easy to do. To method Regaw's is permanant the other can be undone if desired.

Upvote 0
Liquid Sense should have it.
FYI - Be sure to update your Radio to .29 BEFORE (if you haven't done it)

S-off is VERY easy to do. To method Regaw's is permanant the other can be undone if desired.

I have not updated my radio yet. Not that I am challenging your words and just for my edification, but why would that need to be done first? ;)

I am just curious. I will look into the non-permanent S-OFF solutions. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones