• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First time rooted question

jackdubl

Android Expert
May 18, 2010
Topeka, KS
I've been reading the threads on all things root and have a couple questions. I think I'd like to root but I also like the way my stock bolt operates, and I've had it since the release date. Since the latest OTA pretty much everything works great on the phone, so I don't really want to experiment with different roms that may or may not have issues here or there. At least not yet. I want to stay as stock as possible. Mainly, I'd like to keep the updated system and keep the same Sense UI. I'd like to get rid of the bloatware, adjust the external speaker output, and probably change the kernel to get better performance but not negatively affect battery life, which I find to be just fine as is. I wouldn't mind improving it, of course. I'd like to be able to backup app data so that I could wipe my phone but not lose progress in my games(which is the only reason I haven't wiped after each OTA). When the next OTA comes out I'd like to able to update to it somehow(when a root version becomes available, of course), as long as it doesn't break more than it helps. Basically just be as stock as possible but gain some of the advantages of rooting. Maybe down the road I could get more adventurous with different roms that change much more of the phone and the UI. So is that possible and, if so, what would the steps be?

Again, I'd like to:
1. Root, but keep stock system update and stock Sense UI with all it's widgets,
2. improve performance with a different kernel,
3. adjust external speaker volume,
4. remove non-htc bloatware
5. be able to backup app data so I can wipe phone without losing game progress.

Again, I'd like to:
1. Root, but keep stock system update and stock Sense UI with all it's widgets,
2. improve performance with a different kernel,
3. adjust external speaker volume,
4. remove non-htc bloatware
5. be able to backup app data so I can wipe phone without losing game progress.

1. Stock rooted rom here
2. You would just need to flash a sense kernel and use the speedtweak.sh script in terminal emulator. First worry about getting root and the rom flashed.
3. There are various threads about this on xda and some apparently on the market but I personally have np experience in this catagory.
4. After you are rooted titanium backup will help you remove the bloat ware.
5. After you are rooted you can do this. Currently the accepted rooting methods will wipe your data, there is a test method but it is still in testing and I would not recommend it to to someone unfamiliar with rooting.

Reactions: jackdubl
Upvote 0
I'm just a bit scared off by some of the threads saying this or that app doesn't work on some roms, or gps goes funky on some roms, or wallpapers go haywire with some roms. I was already upset by some of the original bugginess of the phone, and was so happy I waited it out till the latest OTA. Not sure I want to mess with a good thing. Different roms seems like a whole other universe of stuff to go through, aside from just becoming comfortable with the rooting process.

Upvote 0
for what its worth,im sure we will have the source code fairly soon,and custom kernels will follow. custom kernel can enhance performance,but the stock kernel does work well. i personally would not let the lack of an available kernel keep you from rooting. the other advantages are well worth it.

most of the current GB roms are based on a buggy,prealpha leak,hence the different things you read. our official GB ota is around the corner,so when it hits youll be able to run the stock rooted version of that,or any of the custom roms that will use it as a base. while not visiually differenct,GB does contain some significant performance enhancements.

Upvote 0
To add to what scotty said just because they are based on a buggy the devs out there are awesome and can do amazing things. Most the GB roms will leave you with a fully functioning phone, if you flash one and realize it is missing something you can't live without there are many others you can flash.

Upvote 0
Let me know if this is correct: I can root now, run the stock rom, and then when the GB OTA comes out there should be a stock GB rom available around the same time. Then I could run a custom kernel off of that. I assume the kernel would be available right off the bat since devs are already using GB.

On a side note, you guys seem to be saying the bugs are mostly related to a buggy GB rom as the base. So roms based of Froyo don't have as many problems?

Upvote 0
Double post

Quoting double post.....

Lets see in a nutshell, more options for customization, performance that can be updated to your individual needs (some people want better battery life, some want faster performance, some want a slicker UI), and if you're like me, you don't like Verizon telling you how to use your Data plan and rooted because you want to stick it to the man.

Upvote 0
The freedom to try out different roms is one big benefit. On a stock bolt you are having the experience HTC thinks android should be for your phone. When you flash a custom rom you get an entire different experience. You could choose to use another sense rom where someone has took HTC's designs and put more work into them, it could be a straight sense 2.1 port, sense 2.1 with elements of 3.0, or a full 3.0 port of sense. This is something HTC will not give to owners of the bolt. Or you could go and get a feel more of how google wants the android experience to be and flash an AOSP rom. AOSP roms have a much smaller footprint than Sense roms so you have more available memory for the phone to function but you give up the eye candy provided by sense, but most of that can be regained with third party apps if you really want it. Each type has it's fans, I personally fall in the AOSP camp but everyone finds certian things they like.

Once you flash a custom rom you will most likely also have a kernel that can be overclocked, which gives you options to undervolt usually as well so you will use less battery.

Most custom roms do not have bloatware on them so you do not have to mess around with apps you no longer want. And you can use other root only apps, one I use often is LED flashlight that is brighter than the stock one.

There are other features of custom roms that will be different per rom so I can really just list them, if you like to tinker then rooting and flashing roms will keep you occupied.

Upvote 0
I do think it's my urge to tinker that's driving me the most. Only so far I can go with custom skins, third-party widgets, and the like. I'm travelling so I don't have my cpu. Monday is the first day I'll have my cpu to myself and time alone. Think I may just take the plunge then.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, guys. I know you have to answer the same questions over and over for us newbs. It is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more of the same old questions come the weekend, but I'll try my best to answer my own.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't even seem to get past step one. Am trying to follow directions to just install and setup SDK and setup adb. I'm using Windows XP Professional but the videos and instructions all seem to be using a different OS. I haven't really been able to follow them. Have been downloading stuff forever but none of it seems to work. Going to system restore my computer and start over, but not feeling very confident at this point. Leaning towards abandoning rooting attempt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones