1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

First Time Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SapphireGrove, Apr 25, 2012.

1. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

So it's been sometime and I've decided to Root my Optimus V. I've been reading tons about rooting but I feel I've read too much. I'm scared to try a guide that's outdated. I understand that if I brick my phone its at my own risk, so spare me the talk. But I need some guidance from someone, because there's just way too much info out there.

I don't know how much info do you need to help me, but I'm running (2.2.1) and I yet to update my phone to the new required update that VMobile has sent to everyone on their phone by text.

I do not know what ROM I want yet, but maybe you can recommend me one? I wanted better battery life and little more performance out of it. I've tried being a heavy user but its performance limits me not to. Thank you very much.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

SapphireGrove likes this.
  3. Leemann

Leemann Member

SapphireGrove likes this.
  4. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Awesome, I'll get to reading now. Thanks :) Backside, hmm.

5. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Random suggestion, I backed up my contacts, messages and pictures to my computer. I wanted to reset my phone to factory settings, and activate it. So that I can start fresh before rooting my phone. Would it matter if I did so?

6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

I would recommend activating before rooting if your going to do it right away. You don't need to have it reset to factory to activate it.

7. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Alright, I reset it and texts & calls work fine. So its activated. I read more on the "Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update" I believe I still haven't installed because I never download anything from any of their texts that I have received. Should I update and try to flash the update for the better quality talk time? I mean to me its fine as it is, unless the quality really makes a HUGE difference. Oh, and if I did update it, is there a way I can check on my phone? To be 100% sure.

8. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

If you did you'd know it's complicated. But look at in menu about phone baseband version, android version.

9. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Android Version: 2.2.1
    Baseband Version: VM670zv4_60401001

Is that okay?

10. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

Your good then. As for the update no one has given a real definitive answer on if it is better. I would wait until someone has a definite answer until then you can root and flash a rom using the tutorial in that link I gave you.

11. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Freaking Amazing, LOL! I just finished Rooting and installing my ROM. I followed "[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM" Guide and it worked flawlessly. So far I've noticed a difference in speed, load times for menus and animations are much smoother. Thank you very much for you help :)

12. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Ohh, wait a minute. I've trying to figure out how can I get on the Market place, but I can't seem to find anything on this phone that leads me there....Hmm.

13. fightingirish

fightingirish Well-Known Member

Market changed its name to Play Store. Delete the Market icon from the desktop and add the "Play Store" icon in its place.

14. SapphireGrove

SapphireGrove Newbie

Looks like I fell asleep as soon as I fixed it. I just redid the instillation with the Backside ROM, then I also installed Gapps.zip version 20110828. It allowed me to sign in to my gmail and download apps. Cheers! :)

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews