1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

First time smartphone buyer..Please help out a newb :)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Sal4m4nd3r, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Sal4m4nd3r

Sal4m4nd3r Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    Hey guys,

long time lurker, first time poster, smart phone newb here :D

I am ready to get my very first smartphone. I just cant decide if i want to go t mobile, or sprint. Both are second to verizons netowrk and 4g power, but i cant afford verizon..plus i worked for them and would rather not deal with them again :)

I have read everything i can about the epic..and it seems GREAT! but that 1 GB of memory keeps popping up in my head. I cant get over it. why only one gig? and I am to scared to root :|

A. Is one gig enough for a first time user? I dont see myself being a huge media hog.

B. T mobile throttles after 2 GB of data. I ahve no idea how much data i would consume. Do you guys go over 2 GB of data a month?

C. Which network do you think is better..TMO's HSPA+ or Sprint's WiMax?
    Will the ATT merger affect TMO's network at all? I dislike ATT and would hate to see the TMO brand disappear.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

-Matthew

Advertisement

2. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Apparently, there is some question as to whether the G2X has the bands to work on AT&T's 3g, so you should look into that before you make your decision. It's possible that even if this meger goes through, TMobile bands will be active for at least a couple of years from today.

In my opinion, T-Mobile is the best of the 2, and should serve you well for at least 18 months even if the merger goes through. there's no way they can force you to keep your contract since you did sign with TMo. By that time, you can switch to Sprint and get the Galaxy S 2, it should be out, and should be a beast.

The network speeds really depend on where you are, but I've heard that TMobile's 3g beats Sprints 4g in terms of speed in my area.

Disclosure: I'm a TMo customer, and will stay with them until their last day as TMo.

I think TMobile throttles at 5gb, at least that's what my contract says. I use anywhere from 1 gb-5 gb per month, and it takes a lot of megavideo downloads to get me to 5 gigs. If you have wifi at home it can really help to just use that when you are home.

Sal4m4nd3r likes this.
  3. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    i think you know this...

find more info from friends in your area.. which has better signal strength. then pick a phone on that network.

4. Sal4m4nd3r

Sal4m4nd3r Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    mrsbelpit,

Thanks for the info! Thats what i was thinking as well. I think i got mesmorized by the Epic's beautiful screen.

And you think that TMO wont be gone for a few years now..I was thinking months until all TMO stores are ATT. That makes me feel much better.

TMO throttles data after 2GB on the new $80 unlimited talk, text and data plan. all other plans its 5gb.

5. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    ^Hey, I know about that screen, I have the TMo vibrant and love it. Once you go SAMOLED, you can't go back.
    Just FYI: The FCC will be kicking this merger around for at least a year, and then it will take probably another year for the bands to be integrated, so I'm pretty confident your phone will work for 2 years if not more. And...maybe the deal will fall apart, that would be awesome.

Sal4m4nd3r likes this.
  6. carmendiva

carmendiva Android Expert
    None

Feb 11, 2010
    Female
    Intern, Model, Acting, Dancer
    New Yor
    Most of these people that go over the 2GB data are "power users" who tether and constantly stream stuff so they get in a huff when companies like tmobile throttle data or At&t limits you and charges you if you go over 2GB

I'd recommend going to Tmobile over Sprint...I have now had all 4 carriers and I'm with Tmobile currently

Don't root...Unless you are 100% sure what you are doing. It can be a complicating situation and I am lucky i had a few people who literally sat up on IM when I tried rooting.

You're a first time user so rooting is not something i'd recommend

I'd go with the Sidekick 4g...I won one and it's a great phone...Excellent hardware, keyboard, UI and its a pretty good phone

or the Samsung Galaxy S 4g....These two phones are currently their fastest 4g phones.

The HTC sensation is coming in a few months but honestly HTC makes great hardware but I am kind of getting bored with their devices....

7. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    girl... you get bored with everything fast! :D ;) :p

8. carmendiva

None

Feb 11, 2010
    Female
    New Yor
    Lol this is true...Boys, shoes, Clothes, phones, hairstyles haha

But seriously HTC phones just look boring to me. Nearly Every phone they release looks Exactly like the one previously announced

i can tell most if not all Motorola, Samsung, LG, and SE XPeria phoens apart...not with HTC phones

so they look boring because i have seen it all before

9. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    there aint much you can do.. phones are what they are.

10. carmendiva

None

Feb 11, 2010
    Female
    New Yor
    There is a lot u can do as far as design goes

Motorola makes devices for multiple carriers

The Droids by motorola have their own distinctive looks

the cliq family has their distinctive looks

the Atrix on At&t has it's own look

Every HTC phone out nowadays look like a slightly enhanced version of the last HTC product announced

11. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    LOL, perhaps you can say that HTC is afraid to use more imaginative design. Or perhaps they keep using the same formula that has worked in the past. Perhaps, there are people who simply like the conservative design of HTC phones. One thing that I like is the built quality and materials used in those phones.
    When I compare HTC Desire, SGS and SE Arc, then I like the design of Arc the most. Also, the built quality is good. Since the phone is so light, you know that SE has used plastic, but it doesn't feel as cheap as in SGS.

So, let's wish that HTC uses more imagination in design, and wish that Samsung uses better materials, and wish that SE ... to finally announce a dual core model to stay in par with competition. :)

12. Sal4m4nd3r

Sal4m4nd3r Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    If i go TMO..i am going G2x. No doubt about it. Everything about that phone is what i want. So far that's 3 votes for TMO..which is what i thought was going to happen.

Thanks guys. This was just the nudge i needed.

13. thelonewizard

thelonewizard Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Student
    Indiana
    Being a Sprint user, I can say that I LOVE the unlimited data. I've not had a chance to actually use the 4G, but It's about on-par with T-mo's 4G, from what I've read here on the forums. Also, the EPIC is a very capable device, but I would just like to suggest the EVO as another option. You've probably already read about it and passed, but I would just like to remind you about the horrid touchwiz that plagues the EPIC.

I would also like to bring up the Nexus S coming to Sprint soon, which is the same size display, but pure Android. Another thing to consider is the EVO 3D coming out in the coming months. This will have 1GB of RAM, and 4GB internal storage, but the CPU is where the real magic is at. 1.2GHz dual core Qualcomm. Even though you may not be a media hog, the 4.3" screen may sway you otherwise, and the internals will be more than able to bring that to you.

Otherwise, the Nexus S on T-Mo is good, the G2x will be a great phone, and the G2 is very highly rated. I hope I've helped.

14. 1JOD

1JOD Member
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Dallas
    The Carrier should be your first decision, then the phone. The best phone on the worst network (in your area) is a really bad combo. Make sure it works in the places you go the most (home work etc.) then make sure you have coverage in the places you travel. It really sucks when you don't have coverage when you go visit family or friends that live in another area. I know the G2x has wifi calling and that helps a lot in places where you don't get coverage. Also don't be scared to root. If you can follow directions then it won't be too hard. Plus a lot of times they have you-tube videos that show you exactly what to do.

15. No_Nickname90

No_Nickname90 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Who? Stun?
    Sorry, I know this is off subject, but since when is Tmo throttling at 2GB of data for $80 unlimited everything? Excuse me? When did happen, like yesterday?

I think I need to take a look at some of these plans, because this is news to me. Especially since I didn't get throttled until 5GB.

Update: You're right, I just read it.

16. carmendiva

None

Feb 11, 2010
    Female
    New Yor
    That is true but even the other manufacturers have conservative and imaginative designs.

And wow HTC for build quality? THey are okay...But i remember when my HTC evo for Sprint came out...I had light leakage because the screen was coming apart. There was a whole thread here dedicated to that very issue

Personally, Motorola may lock bootloaders but I think they have some of the most well built devices....

Samsung Devices are great mainly because of that gorgeous screens

But hands down I think Sony Xperia Android phones are the most attractive I've seen, in my opinion.

I wish there was a Sony Xperia windows phone 7(my favorite Manufacturer and favorite OS...I would so love that).

17. Sal4m4nd3r

Sal4m4nd3r Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    could you provide a link to these specs? When I search I find completly different specs...en I s