1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

First Timer - App Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by newdude1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. newdude1

newdude1 Lurker

PREMISE
    fyi, some minor details are left out to protect the premise. but in general, the purpose of the app is to create a countdown clock. and we intend to have different sponsors.

FRONT-END REQUIREMENTS
    when the clock expires, it will have beep and vibrate.

to make money, when someone brings up the app on their phone, they would see a coupon from a sponsor company. and upon the launch screen, if the person likes the coupon, they can request to have it e-mailed to them. there's two options to have at this point. a) the app sends me (the app business owner) an e-mail confirming that this individual has requested this coupon. and I'll e-mail it to them whenever I get a chance [but this could get messy if there is a ton of users] b) the app somehow automatically send an e-mail right then and there to the individual [this could be a Day 2 project].

regardless of whether or not the visitor has requested the coupon e-mailed to them, when they click the "ENTER APP" button, they should be transferred to the APP SCREEN.

BACK-END REQUIREMENTS
    a. we will NOT store any customer data or e-mails or anything else. we will simply generate a one-time e-mail to that address and that's it.
    b. we would like to track a) how many downloads so we can tell potential sponsors b) how often people use the app and how long it's open on their phone for.
    c. needs to work on android, IOS and windows phones. we do not care about tablets or computers. smart phones users will be 99% of our audience.
    d. we need some sort of back-end or web interface where I can enter in new sponsor names, logos and coupons.

QUESTIONS
    1. I'm not going to learn to build this myself. i have no knowledge of how to build one and don't have the time to learn. i plan to hire a freelancer through odesk.com. what program should I ask they use to build this? I've heard terms like swift, xcode, ruby on rails, twitter bootstrap, etc

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. OllyTrolly

OllyTrolly Lurker

I know you said you've left out details, but it seems a little thin on functionality to be pushing something as invasive as coupons in people's faces. If you really want to do it then your best bet would be to focus on getting the app to a useful state and getting a userbase through the door (especially since this is a first app, even if you're not programming you would expect to do design). Then focus on introducing monetisation imo. Otherwise you'll put people off of using it before they even find a use for it.

Yes, the functionality seems simple enough to program, I doubt it would take long to implement at all. Getting an app on Google Play is not essential but highly recommended for Android, for the other OS's they're the only official ways. Again, I'm just going on what I think I see here, but this is a startling lack of basic knowledge about what you're developing for, you're going to find it hard to understand the process if you haven't even used these systems much.