1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support First Timer. Gps

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Travis christopher, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Travis christopher

None

Jul 20, 2016
    Male
    Okay so i tried getting the Pokemon go app on my new phone but apparently it doesn't have enough ram on it so i got it on my old phone from like 2 years ago instead but the only problem is the GPS is absolute junk as are most androids GPS. it gives my a pretty close location when i first load up any kinda of maps but that is about it. it'll just freeze there or jump around and not keep up which you can imagine would make it almost impossible to play the game and I've been looking up how to fix it by flashing a new radio and all that but i have no idea what i'm doing and all this junk is confusing me cause all the stuff i read picks up from other places and i just end up have to go to something else to learn what it is just to do that one step and its really confusing and i was just wondering if anyone can word it easily for me to understand. im not trying make my phone like super crazy good i just wanna fix the GPS and thats it because its not my main phone it just a gaming phone i take with me on trips to play games on so i dont kill my real phones battery

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Well Tarvis christopher I get that message (GPS error) a lot but it still lets me play. You can get it less by going into location and changing the Mode to "Device only" instead of "High accuracy".

3. Travis christopher

None

Jul 20, 2016
    Male
    i cant do that because like i said i just use that phone with wifi only it has no data at all is basically like a tablet, wont do anything without wifi. not literally but you get the jest

4. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Device only will ignore the position data from the WiFi and only use the gps.... It doesnt use any mobile data so you can do that

5. Travis christopher

None

Jul 20, 2016
    Male
    well it must use some data that or my gps is really far off because when i turned it to that it showed my guy was in a big body of water far from land

6. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    If you're in the open air, it picks up the signal directly from the sattelites.. no 'data connection' is used. Until it achieves a fix its unable to triangulate its position accurately. AGPS uses a data file downloaded to decrease the time needed for the fix, but isn't essential (it will just take longer without it)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/howgpsworks.php

7. Travis christopher

None

Jul 20, 2016
    Male
    i got the assisted gps and all that but it still just dont work