1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

First Timer - Phone Address book vs Gmail Contacts/Exchange Q's

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by samcraig, Jan 12, 2012.

1. samcraig

samcraig Member
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Ok so I'm going to be jumping from an iPhone to either the GSII or more likely the Skyrocket. But before I did - I had some questions based on my usage. Please bare with me so I can explain specifically what I'm asking.

Right now I have a few email accounts. One is work and is MS Exchange. One is a gmail account which is for a freelance business I have and another gmail account for personal.

I have different contacts for each email address.

The freelance gmail account has maybe 1,000 contacts. My work is tied to exchange. My personal has maybe 100.

On my current iPhone - when I go to my CONTACTS (address book) I only see the contacts I have put into my Mac's Address Book (and sync via iTunes).

As you probably know - when I send an email - it will autofill from my address book, autofill if I have ever sent a person an email, or will autofill if the person I am emailing is available via MS Exchange.

So here's the question. When I get my Skyrocket - can I set it up similarly?

Can I have my actual address book/contacts be a set group without having hundreds and hundreds of extra contacts that are/would be imported from both of my gmail accounts? IE - my contact/address book is independant of any accounts I am using for mail?

Or am I going to have to export my Mac Address book and import it into one of my gmail accounts as a sub group/etc and only sync with that? (and can you sync just a sub list - or does it automatically sync an entire address book from gmail).

Sorry for the newbie questions... MUCH appreciated for the answers!!

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Well most of the problems comes from you using a Mac. Its been tedious trying to find a way to sync to the Mac Address book and so far I don't think anyone has been successful very much without going through Google.

It seems you would either need a 3rd "dummy" google account just for contacts, or keep the contacts on "phone storage" which does not sync to Google. It syncs to Samsung Kies though (sort of like an iTunes program) on the PC though. Not sure if that syncs to Address book or Entourage.

samcraig likes this.
  3. samcraig

samcraig Member
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    That sort of answers my question I guess. I don't care about syncing my contacts (for my phone book). I am fine keeping them strictly "local" on the phone. So it sounds like I can still do that... Then I can just add my email accounts (normally) and NOT sync contacts.

Thanks.