• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root first try with clockworkmod rom manager didnt work and messed things up

doctorcrash. Next time take your time. You have gotten yourself into a pickle that's for sure. You will not be able to install any of the custom roms, nor restore any backups you have made as all you have at this time is stock recovery. And stock recovery will not allow you to install ANYTHING custom.

To get you out of this mess there are two options. One is the adb shell path, the other is a version of the RSD Lite path.

If you chose the adb shell path (probably the most reliable) I have a couple of guides at my site to help. I will link the one that will allow you to use adb shell to install a custom recovery manually, however it was written for SPRecovery, so I will also link you the latest CWRecovery file to use in palce of SPRecovery. Here's the guide to install a custom recovery manually:

Installing the SPRecovery Image Manually

Now for adb, use the link "adb shell" in the first paragraph to install it, as the later versions don't play as easily. Now here's a link to the CWRecovery file:

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-sholes.img

Understand that this will take some thinking on your part, to make sure you substitute the CWRecovery file in the places where my guide calls for the SPRecovery file.

good luck

Upvote 0
I have heard problems people have with that one click root. so I wonder your problems is from that one click rooting.

I'm not convinced this was a "one-click" issue, as Doc didn't indicate in the OP that he flashed a recovery image. He evidently skipped a very vital step there, in NOT flashing ClockworkMod or SPRecovery once rooted. He indicated that his root-access apps worked. So "one-click" isn't to blame here, IMHO. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not convinced this was a "one-click" issue, as Doc didn't indicate in the OP that he flashed a recovery image. He evidently skipped a very vital step there, in NOT flashing ClockworkMod or SPRecovery once rooted. He indicated that his root-access apps worked. So "one-click" isn't to blame here, IMHO. :)
Oh I agree but its hard to tell what caused his snafu and I know I heard people has had problems with them one click easy root programs. so just wanted to get it out as a possible cause. Wasnt saying this was what caused his problem.

Upvote 0
Oh I agree but its hard to tell what caused his snafu and I know I heard people has had problems with them one click easy root programs. so just wanted to get it out as a possible cause. Wasnt saying this was what caused his problem.

i think it was moreso ROM manager that caused his prollem. in that it let him create backups and flash roms without first prompting him to install a custom recovery. further,ive read of many instances of rom manager screwing up this or that,i have no idea why people even attempt to use it... :thinking:

i rooted with the one click app and had no issue whatsoever. only thing i have used rom manager for was to initially install clockwork recovery. nothing wrong with once click apps,but IMO people should research alittle more and have more of an idea what theyre doing prior,rather than trying to fix fudge-ups like this after.

is there not an image file that the bootloader could install and get him back to stock? if so it would be as easy as transfering it to the SD card,letting the phone find it in bootloadermode,and then click "yes" to update. he would then have his phone back,and could do some more research about rooting and roming,then simply run the one click app again. his nandroid will still be there waiting on the SD cards once he reroots and installs a recovery.

Upvote 0
Reactions: doctorcrash
Upvote 0
I'm not even sure a factory reset would work at this point... :(

Something tells me that flashing an .sbf via RSD Lite may be the only way out for the Doc. I've never done it and hope I never have to, as it can be very fickle and really mess up a phone if not done properly.

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/141116-guide-rooting-2-2-windows-linux.html

I wish I had better news and another idea :eek:

I believe you need superuser rights in order to do this. According to his last post, the SU command came back with an access denied. So unless his permissions are screwed up...

I just did the .sbf flash on the old phone yesterday. I was reluctant to do so based off of reading what a pain RSD Lite can be, but it went very smoothly. But being that the OP's phone is acting up so badly, who knows if we will have similar results.

Edit: I guess he can attempt to re-root his phone to get SU rights back.

Upvote 0
I rooted my phone using RSD Lite, and I would suggest as previously stated to go and try that route...I mean this is what Motorola/Verizon use to bring your phone back if you break it. Why not use the same programs that the manufactures use.

Reason people (from what I have read) don't like to use RSD Lite is because it is very finicky. I'm sure if you have the proper OS with the correct updates, etc, then it will work fine...

I am not sure about the root process, but if something fails when you are flashing the .sbf to revert to stock, you are SOL (again, from what I have read, please feel free to correct me).

I did just use RSD Lite to revert back to stock, and I didn't have any issues... But I was trying to avoid it based off of what I had read.

Upvote 0
well teddy i got everything downloaded and working. in the adb shell soon as i type the first command su says access denied.... ?
Two things. One, make sure usb debugging is on. On your phone go here:

menu -> settings -> applications -> development -> usb debugging check the box.

Second go to your app drawer and make sure you see Superuser Permissions in it. If so, open it and clear the one that got denied. Then next time you enter 'su' on your computer while connected to your phone, watch your phone so you can hit the "remember" check box and the "allow" button.

If you don't have Superuser Permissions, then somehow your phone is not rooted.

good luck

Upvote 0
Ok guys I had to do what tedy said and pay attention to my phone I didn't realize but each time I typed su it was askin me to allow su permissions on my phone screen. However tedy I'm stuck on the very next line. Its the mount -remount,rw. Etc. I have tried to make sure and type it in exactly like u said but it keeps comin up with.

Usage. Mount -o (options) blabla like I'm not typing it in right. I haven't even been able to try for a couple days been busy. Gonna keep tryin tho. If u have any idea what I'm doing wrong plz help.

Upvote 0

This is what happened. I guarantee it. This information provided by members of this site is priceless and the forums are a life saver for so many Droid users. I am glad that the problem was able to be resolved. Now to my rant.... Most Apps that require SuperUser permissions have a Pop-Up that specifically states that the App can seriously mess up your phone if you dont know what you are doing. Ex. Rom Manager, SetCpu, enabling God Mode in certain file managers all have warnings. I think too many people are guilty of not informing themselves before performing these hacks and not taking advantage of reading all the great material posted on the forums. A simple search and a few hours of reading can go a very long way. Please dont take this as calling one specific person out, that is not my intention. It just burns me up when people are too lazy to read and want the easy way out. My case in point, Chief gave the OP a link to a ROM in the very beginning of the thread and told him how to try and solve the problem before he knew what was really wrong. The OP proceeded to ask for names of ROMS without even reading or acknowledging the reply by Chief. The end result is certain ROMS and Applications get the blame for what really is user error. Sorry for the rant.

Upvote 0
I think too many people are guilty of not informing themselves before performing these hacks and not taking advantage of reading all the great material posted on the forums. A simple search and a few hours of reading can go a very long way. Please dont take this as calling one specific person out, that is not my intention. It just burns me up when people are too lazy to read and want the easy way out.<snip>Sorry for the rant.
+1 ^^^ this. Think it's bad here? I almost don't even bother trying to help at the other place anymore.

Glad to hear you got it fixed doctorcrash. I suggest you go ahead and do a few hours of reading around some of the various threads and forums about what you might want to do next. And then if you have a specific question about a certain action, go ahead and start a new thread about it.

good luck

Upvote 0
Glad you was able to get your droid up and running again. Like the others have said read up some so you haven an idea of what you are doing. Always expect a SNAFU when modding. I tried to run a differnet kernel on the liquid gingerbread rom and the phone stayed on the M logo screen. had to flash back to get it up and running again.

Upvote 0
yup i get too experimental too quick i must admit. working most weeks monday thru sunday and being a single father of a six and seven year old girl takes up a lotta time. i dont always read everything thouroughly but when i have the general idea of something i run with it and its easier for me to learn asking specific questions. and if i had time to go thru every post on these forums and point out where someone may have read over something... well... then i guess i would be better off. but the fact is i dont and if i woulda bricked the hand me down droid, i would have just had to buy a new one i guess. (not that big of a deal) and thanks to ted, chief, dark jedi and the rest of u i didnt have to buy a new one. i am very thankful and now that i understand more i may even be able to help someone else out on here. thanks guys

Upvote 0
Whats up cheif? once i flash the clockworkmod recovery shouldnt it be my permanent recovery system? seems like i have to flash it prior to each reboot to get in to it and after that its back to the stock recovery.. its that right?

p.s. and yes i have made my backup i just wanna make sure i can restore with it if i have to i dont wanna get in a situation like last time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones