1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

First week with Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aSystemOverloa, Aug 11, 2012.

1. aSystemOverloa

Well I've had my Nexus 7 for a little under a week now. What do I think.

Firstly, it is VERY quick, my phone is a 800Mhz Defy with ~512Mb RAM so moving to a 4*~1.3Ghz Tablet with 1Gb RAM is a BIG change, a welcome change.

Obviously it only has WiFi, so my main concern was how do I sync with GMail, GCalendar, Taptu (News) etc whilst away from a building with accessible WiFi. I've quite easily used my BlueTooth, I paired with my Defy, then told it to use that connection for Internet. Works a treat, but only using it for sync as I've only got 500Meg allowance on the Defy. The only issue here for me, is that I have some similar apps like Taptu and gReader on the Nexus 7 and Defy so both end up downloading the same amount, which wastes my allowance. I will be looking to root the phone so I can hopefully limit what apps can access the bluetooth for internet.

The screen, is very responsive, very clear, very detailed. I got Transformers DSoM included and it's gorgeous to watch. The speakers aren't the loudest, but I'd expect you to either listen/watch with headphones or share/stream to a TV/Audio System etc. I've had no problems with the screen lifting, drifting, leaking etc.

I've not used the (FRONT) camera as I currently have no use for it. I'm not using it heavily at the moment, but with moderate use the battery only seems to go down to ~80% by the end of the day, maybe ~60% if I spend an hr or two browsing before bed. I charge it overnight and it's good to go for another day by the morning.

I've had a few issues with some of my existing widgets as they aren't designed for tablets or aren't sufficiently high definition, but that is just a case of finding alternatives.

A question to you all, what are YOU using to access your media servers. I've got a Win7 minibox running Serviio with music/tv series etc, I've found Skifta which is very basic, but would like something with a bit more functionality. With music, I would like to be able to play <this folder and all subfolders>, which it can't do, it just says <no media> as everything is in various subfolders...

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Nice write up you got there. As to your question for accessing your PC, I've never done it. I know Drop Box is an option, but it really limits the amount you can store.

3. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast

I use ES File Explorer to copy media onto the tablet across the network then play it locally. I've tried uPnP, and it works fine, but I normally only watch/listen to media on the Nexus when I'm away from home so I need a local copy.

When I need internet access away from home I usually just switch my phone into wireless hotspot mode. This is a lot easier than messing around with Bluetooth.

I guess the front camera is intended for Skyping ...

4. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Android Enthusiast

personally on my tablet I just use ES File Explorer and MX Player. I basically have some files loaded on the SD card and some I just stream to the device. I found my setup works like charm.