1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General First work-related trip experience with the A500

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kristalsoldier, Aug 9, 2011.

1. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi...

Just wanted to post my observations on using only the A500 for its first work-related trip.

Note that I have not rooted the tab in any way. But it has been updated to 3.1 via the normal and official channels. I have also transferred some of my critical work files to the tab - I had done this a few days back. I have also not added the MicroSD card - I intend to do so later this week. My A500 is the 16GB version.

So, my day began at around 7:30 am and it ended by around 11:00 pm when I came back home. In the intervening hours, I have spent about 5-6 hours flying (around 2.5 hrs flying time each way plus some delays); around 2 hours sitting at airports, and I spent about 5 hours in meetings and a couple of hours driving from meeting to meeting - being stuck in traffic etc.

Usually, I take my ThinkPad X201 with me, but this time I took only the A500 (plus one 2GB pen drive FAT32 formatted). I already knew that I would not be engaging in any heavy document creation. I would only have to take notes. Plus, aside from the airports, there was no wifi. I did use the A500 with my phone to access the internet though - but that was to only check and reply to mails (I find it frustrating trying to type anything out on my phone - Samsung Galaxy (Fit).).

I spent the hours in flight doing the following:

(1) Reading documents (Word and PDF)
    (2) Playing games - actually, only Angry Bird
    (3) Watched some work-related documentaries - short clips (each about 5 mins or so)

At the airports, I did some of the above (except for playing Angry Birds), plus I checked and replied to my mails and read up some online news.

In my meetings, I used the A500 to share presentations and short documents. So, all in all it was not like the tablet was sitting idle. I also checked on stuff on the web via my phone - so some minor element of web surfing.

I would have liked to type out the notes from these meetings, but I have not yet bought the full version of Docs2Go. So, I used a pencil and a notepad.

As of now (it is now 1:30 am the next day...yes, I am still at my desk, albeit at home!), the battery charge reads around 50%, which is not too bad. Perhaps if I had done a bit more of web surfing on the tab via my phone's data connection, the charge would have dropped to around 30-40%, which is still not bad.

When I was not actively using the tab, it went off to sleep - I did not power it off.

EDIT: Btw, I did not disable wifi on the tab even when it was in my bag and not being used in any way - I guess when it goes off to sleep it suspends the wifi - I am not sure about this though.

I also noticed one other thing. Unwittingly, I had to handle the A500 a bit more roughly - especially during the flights and while going throuhg airport security - that I would be predisposed to. It seems to have held up very well. As for a cover or slip-case, I don't have one - have not been able to find one.

I did notice though that there a very slight creaking sound near the USB. I am quite certain it was not there when I originally took the tab out of its packing. But it is nothing major and mor eoften than not, I did not notice it - but I thought it better to mention it.

I am now certain that as soon as I have the full version of Docs2Go (or something similar), I can be productive with the A500 and compared even to the essentially light-in-weight X201, it was a joy to carry. Did not feel a thing.

Yes, I am beginning to get this "tablet thing"...perhaps a little late - but hey! Better late than never!

Thanks.

Edit I:

I recently read that I could use Google Docs offline. This was on ZDNet and you can check out the article here and my brief exchange with the author in the comments (see for posts by "crystalsoldier"). Unless, I am missing something, I can't seem to use Docs offline. It would ahve been good to be able to do so.

Which also leads me ask:

What would be a good note-taking app in the market? I have downloaded EverNote, but it seems that I have to always be online for it to work. I have not uninstalled it, but I am looking for something that I can use offline too. Thanks

Advertisement

2. splatoid

splatoid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    Repair Technician for Grocery stores Auto meat wra
    Washington State
    Good Post I also use mine for some work. And play of course.
    I have PDF files of machinery diagrams and parts list's. I repair automated meat wrappers and many other things in grocery stores. It has been very handy for files. Also It is allot nicer to do the Internet and emails with a larger keyboard. Since I got this i hardly use the phone {Droid Incredible} for these things for the same reason as you. I have my Tablet rooted and I use a program called Polaris Office.it is the best program out there for docs and spreadsheets.IMO The only thing is you have to have root to use it. I load movies on the card and watch them on my lunch time and they play real well.The best format for me is AVI DIVX. Ill check on a note taking app and if I find anything that seems good I ll let you know.

3. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks. The problem is that I cannot root the tab till its warranty lasts since this was bought by my work-place for me to use. I would have liked to root the thing because I want to use the DriveMount app to use large external HDDs. But as it is, all things A500-related look good at the moment. I will probably go with Docs2Go since that seems to have the best reviews (at least that I have seen).

4. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    "As for a cover or slip-case, I don't have one - have not been able to find one."
    I use the Acer Iconia Tab A500 Protective Case - Amazon.com: Acer Iconia Tab A500 Protective Case: Electronics and Best Buy and other places for around $39 and I love it! It's a rubberized cover you slip the A500 into. It's magnetic, so the screen cover "snaps" in place. It can also be easily configured to support the back, thereby propping it up. It's actually quite slick!

kristalsoldier likes this.
  5. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
    I have seen that on Amazon, but unfortunately, it is difficult for me to buy things from Amazon given my current location.

I have to find a local alternative. I was even considering getting a cover/ case made!

EDIT: Since it is a case made/ sold by Acer, maybe I should go to an Acer shop here and ask them to get one for me!!!!!

6. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    Do You want to be able to write the notes with a stylus or type them?
    I found a program called Note Everything it seem to have a lot of options and But not for stylus. Also on a side note I took my case off one day last week to clean out dust and the cover on my tablet from the volume switch to the outer edge came apart and was just hanging there. So I used some epoxy to fix it and it fine now but its always been in a cover so I would say that is a week spot.

kristalsoldier likes this.
  7. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I'd prefer to use the virtual keyboard than a stylus. On the other hand, as soon as I buy the full version of Docs2Go, I think I could use that for note taking.

Btw, in this connection do you know (or anyone else) if Docs2Go can read and work with docx files?

That volume button does seem to be a bit flimsy to me.

Also, that slight creaking sound near the USB port is still there. It goes away when I press it hard enough, but it is still there.

Personally, I think Acer could have done just a little bit better on the finish of the A500 - though I have no complaints thus far.

8. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    That was the first one I got then I got a leather case but after two weeks with it I hated it and went back to the best buy rubber cover. The other one was so bulky and felt like it would slip from my hand.This one doesn't.

9. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Actually, there's a way to use a stylus in every program and end up with typed text.

Old Palm users will remember Grafitti 1, the handwriting recognition alphabet. It's available as an Android keyboard replacement. And it's easy to learn.

I tried it a while back on my Intercept phone. Unfortunately, the program couldn't recognize the characters as fast as I could write them. Someday I'm going to try it on a phone or tablet with a fast processor. On a Palm, it was almost as fast as handwriting.

10. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
    Lol...yeah...I remember Grafitti very well indeed. It's still on my Palm Treo which I still have on me (I loved that phone :D).

I did not know it was ported to Android and specifically for tablets.

11. kristalsoldier

None

Jul 6, 2011
  12. splatoid

None

May 12, 2011
    Washington State
    Looks like a good app.