• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FishText app compatability on android (htc hero)

nish81

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
(i hope this subforum is appropriate for this topic. I saw an older thread on the issue but felt that my post would do better as a separate thread)

(for those who dont know, fishtext.com is a messaging service that lets people send international texts for dirt cheap. texts within the UK are charged at 2p each, (+ a tiny amount of data) which is cheaper than the local networks themselves charge)

the web2sms connector with fishtext seems to work perfectly for sending messages. however, one of the features of fishtext is that two fishtext users can text each other for free (apart from data charges) - no matter where they are. this requires the receiving user to be running the fishtext mobile app, (configured to check the inbox less than every 10 minutes and with the 'accept free messages' setting checked).

I attempted to adapt the fishtext app to android so that I could take advantage of this, using this resource - http://www.netmite.com/android/ . the resulting app did run on my phone and seemed to be working well, but when someone texted me via fishtext, it did not show up in the inbox of the fishtext app and they were charged for it - so apparently some features of it are not working. when I try to check my balance on the ported fishtext app, or check the cost of messaging a certain number, the app returns errors, implying to me that the internet connection is not working from this app?

basically, I was wondering if anyone else uses fishtext/is interested in this, and whether it could be fixed. the app seems to be working fine apart from the internet connection (and i'm not much of a coder).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones