• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Fix] Favorites/contact pics fuzzy or pixellated

VelociT

May 3, 2010
I seem to have discovered a way of clearing the contact pictures up if they appear distorted:

Tap the name of the contact you wish to repair in the favorites (or your big contact list), then go to the bottom of their info and tap Edit (Edit contact) so that you can change their phone number, address etc.

Next, tap the icon on the very most top left, it should be the photo you already selected, or the little camera icon if you have not yet set a photo for them.

Tap 'Photos', select the photo and crop to your liking. Save the photo, then scroll down and make sure that you save the changes to your contact at the bottom!

This should stop the pixelation, it seems as though there is a bug with using Photos app to 'set as' for a picture and the way it deals with resizing the picture to apply it to the contacts. It goes without saying that one should try to use a decent resolution image if you can help it, too.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Trooper
This did not work for me and I was trying it with an 8mp photo from the phone's camera.

Not sure what to say there, this definitely fixed my issue. I do shoot all my photos in 8mp too. Hard to say why it didn't work but the change in the quality I saw after doing the method I posted was dramatic.

Some of the photos were taken in raw format on my Nikon D70s then converted to jpeg for transfer.

Upvote 0
I will try this later on. Weird thing is I only have one contact with a picture. I got it non-pixelated on my first shot. But then when I did factory wipe on my phone I obviously I lost that pic.

I tried to get the photo back but ever since then, I was never able to get it non blurry. I wish I could remember the steps I took initially.

Upvote 0
Tried several methods too. Tried not resizing pictures, no luck, tried some random resizes, no luck. Tried clearing the cache for "people" in the manage applications area in settings. Didn't work immediately, but after redoing picture after that, working now. Give that a go?

I should add this is on contact pictures made from photos from inc camera, not imported from anywhere.

Upvote 0
Sadly some of mine reverted back to pixelated versions after a few days inexplicably. Option to reset cache in people is grayed out too, cannot seem to redo method that worked for me before. Any other methods to try? This only affected contacts from pictures selected in phone. Pics synced from other accounts are just fine still. Very odd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones