1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Fix for Pentile Screen?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by below_radar_00, Sep 10, 2011.

1. below_radar_00

below_radar_00 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Got the Bionic on launch day and I'm not really liking the screen after coming from a launch day Incredible. The colors are more vibrant with the Incredible. I'm wondering if there's any sort of fix/hack for this on the Bionic. I saw someone posting on XDA about a program called LCD Resolution and it seems to help a bit. I'm not sure what the magic number for my liking with that program is though. Any other things out there that can help bring some vibrancy back to this screen for those of us who like more colors? I really don't want to return this phone but if I can't find a screen fix then I'm taking this baby back and waiting for the next device with similar specs but a better screen.

Advertisement

2. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Did your Dinc have the Amoled or LCD screen? The first several months the Dinc had the Amoled which had very deep colors and saturation, but then they started using the regular LCD screens. I ask because it makes a big difference in the type of display and colors you say you prefer on the Dinc. The Pentile on my DX2 is very bright and has quite nice colors that "pop" IMHO. It has deeper colors than my DX did for example.

3. below_radar_00

None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    I had the original Incredible with the AMOLED screen. I'm looking for something closer to that. The Bionic just seems washed out and boring on some of the games I play on it that I'm used to playing on the Incredible. Any knonw apps/hacks/fixes to make screen adjustments?

4. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    New phone? lol

redraider1 likes this.
  5. below_radar_00

None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Yea that's what it's looking like right now. I love having 4G and this phone is super fast but if there isn't a fix for the screen then I might have to go for the rumored Vigor. I'm hoping the users of the other PenTile Screen phones have figured out a solution though. PenTile is new to me so I have no idea how this stuff works or if there's any way to fix it.

6. schembfs

schembfs Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Time? Coming from an OG(22 months of IPSLCD goodness) and Droid Charge(3 weeks or SAMOLED+ bliss), I too was initially shocked by the difference. But I have realized that this is probably one of those things that I only noticed because I was looking for it (really closely). But after a couple days of using the Bionic, I don't even notice it anymore especially if I use the phone the way I normally use it (15 to 20 inches from my face.) And yes I have a pretty good eye sight. Sometimes I still see the diagonal patterns for a couple of seconds but then they seem to vanish or blend away. I'm sure that I will see it with a magnifying lens. But fortunately, even as a photography enthusiast for the last 25 years, I never became a pixel-peeper.

7. below_radar_00

None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    The pixelization doesn't bother me as much. I mean it's not ideal but I don't think it's worth turning the phone in for. What I hate is the coloring. I play some color rich games and everything appears washed out and faded. That's the part I don't like.

8. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    I would go compare your screen to a DX2 in Best Buy or somewhere. See if yours isn't up to par with the DX2 or even possibly another Bionic. If so, I would swap it out for another Bionic as I doubt there are any apps or tweaks you can apply to address your washed out screen issue.

9. New Rising

New Rising Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    I probably never would've even really noticed if it wasn't for this forum...I feel like im always looking for it, it's distracting. Occasionally I don't think about it at all which is really nice. My girlfriend didn't notice it at all till i pointed it out and now she can see the pixelation too.

10. ice9mike

ice9mike Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    I believe it really is a matter of your eyes and brain. Not everyone can see the different pixel patterns on a pentile screen. I can't help but see it all the time. It's very distracting to me even at normal viewing distances.

If you want something comparable to the Incredible AMOLED, I would recommend the Charge. It's the best screen I have seen on a phone. With some moderate hacking you can get the Charge working almost as fast as the bionic if you are so inclined.

11. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    yes, this is the solution! It's like when you marry an ugly woman. Time makes it hurt less.

Not that I would know first hand, but still, that's what I've heard.
    :D

12. kematocha

kematocha Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    I don't know if this will help because my Bionic hasn't arrived yet. However I was searching the market and found an app called " Screen Adjuster" it gets 4.6 stars and adjusts RGB as well as contrast and of course brightness. I am gonna try it when mine comes but maybe someone else could give it a shot and see if it helps and let us know.

13. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    I used the LCD Resolution app and adjusted it to what someone recommended (from XDA). Didn't really notice any difference. Keep in mind, this app requires root.

14. below_radar_00

None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Is the developer Netman? I'm going to give it a shot but wanted to make sure it was the same app you were referring to.

15. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    there really is no "good" fix for this. It is the nature of the hardware (pentile) there have been numerous articles on the drawbacks of Pentile.

16. kematocha

kematocha Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Yeah that is the app I am referring too.

17. below_radar_00

None

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Yea it doesn't seem to help. Good find though.

18. deekum1627

deekum1627 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Male
    arizona
    the screen is better then the droid x tho so it is an improment. not as nice as the htc or the samsung phones

19. kematocha

kematocha Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Guess it does require root like dreadnatty08 said. I didn't see anything about it in the app description though. I may try it on my OG Droid which is rooted just to see. Wish Verizon would have sent my Bionic overnight like the guy said they would, and then I would have had this weekend to tinker.

20. kramerica

kramerica Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    baaahaaahaaaa!

21. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Member
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Teacher
    Georgia
    I tried the app, and it mad my display look worse. On the plus side when I turned it off my screen look better manly due to how bad it looked when it was on.

BlueBiker likes this.
  22. kematocha

kematocha Lurker
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Yeah I just was playing with it on my OG Droid and thought the same thing :D. Oh well guess were gonna have to hope something develops from XDA or something. Just need to do some research and figure out what files control it I guess. Since the phone can be rooted and unrooted I may have to play with it some.

23. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    I have a real logical question? Why in the world did Motorola go with this type of screen (Pentile) anyway?

24. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Member
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Teacher
    Georgia
    It is supposed to improve battery life.

25. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

BS...the battery life on this thing is not that much better then any of the other 4G phones I've had. The Charge being the best, and the Bionic being in the same boat as my TB, and EVO. Yea its better then both the TB and EVO, but not light years better. I'll take a beautiful screen over an extra half hour of battery life.