1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Fix for reboot on USB Connect

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wraithbane, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Wraithbane

Wraithbane Member

Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I couldn't find it in the forum.

Okay, the problem I was having was that anytime I plugged my phone into my computer via USB in the "USB Mass Storage Mode", my phone would reboot. After the reboot, there would not be any USB notification in the pull down to allow me to take it out of that mode. Very frustrating when attempting to move files.

Thanks to user Sivs422 on another forum* (not named because I don't want to violate any policies) for finding the problem and the fix. Evidently it was due to Angry Birds running off the SD card. He has a rather detailed explanation but all you really need to know is that you need to have your apps running off the phone and not the SD card to fix the problem. In Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - On SD Card, move all applications operating on the SD card to the phone. That fixed the problem.

For the tech types, something to do with both the computer and the phone attempting to use drivers on the SD card at the same time.

*Edited to give due credit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...phone-reboots-when-plugged-into-computer.html

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Steven58

Other forums are cross-referenced here all the time. (XDA, DroidXforums, Droidforums; blah blah blah.) It's okay, but just don't advertise for them.

Wraithbane likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Fantastic. Thanks!

4. mruno

mruno Android Expert

i hate apps that automatically move themselves to the SD card! I bought a decent phone with plenty of internal storage so let me manage where i want you!

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Hmmm, they recently updated Angry Birds and my reboot issues I've been having over the last couple weeks seems to have stopped, I wonder if there was a bug in the previous update that wasn't playing well with the DX?

6. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Mine reboots after Angry birds update. Will see what is on SD card. I know there are quite a few.

7. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

I have both angry birds on the sd cards and don't get reboots.

8. csimo

csimo Lurker

I had the reboot problem and Angry birds was on my SD Card. I moved it to the phone and problem is solved!

Thanks,
    -Joe

9. georgepink

georgepink Newbie

thank you for this. solved my problem! thank you, thank you.

10. Ecsa0014

Ecsa0014 Lurker

I have this problem and I don't even have Angry Birds installed on my phone.
    Edit:
    I disabled USB Debugging and the problem seems to have disappeared.

11. chopperwolf

chopperwolf Lurker

I just tried to follow those instructions and when I click the "Move to Phone" button on Angry birds, I get the following error message:

"Failed to move application. There is not enough storage left."

Soooooo.... what do I do now?

12. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast

Clear out some of the crap on the phone? ;) Honestly I am surprised that you could run out of phone storage with the 8gb that it comes with. Just how many programs do you have installed?

13. chopperwolf

chopperwolf Lurker

That worked!!! :) I really don't have that many programs installed at all. Is there a way to find out how much internal storage is available? (I just got this phone last week so I'm still learning where things are).

Thanks!

14. locoandroid

locoandroid Well-Known Member

it worked!!! thanks!!!!

15. misteresock

misteresock Newbie

A quick correction - this issue is NOT just limited to Angry Birds. I had DropBox running off the SD card and it caused the phone to reboot when connected as well.

16. Wraithbane

Wraithbane Member

lol, wow! A lot more people had the problem than I thought, glad I was able to help, but credit to Sivs422 for finding the fix.

17. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

Thanks Wraith its now been over 24h without a random reboot...woot!

18. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

Cool. I had this issue quite a bit when I was running stock. It bugged the hell out of me. Glad to know I wasn't the only one

19. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

Read this post and thought I should try this fix and report what happened.
    Went through and moved all apps to the device memory,
    Rebooted device,
    Plugged in usb cable from computer,
    device was instantly recognized (before, I was getting random reboots or it would take several minutes to recognize sd card)

This seems to be a well thought-out fix and is working so far.
    Thanks to the OP and the source!

20. Unclecheese

Unclecheese Lurker

Wraithbane: WOW!! I cant believe I missed this post until today. This totally cured my reboot on USB connect issue, thank you.

This issue has always bugged me since I got my DX.
    Stoked I can connect without reboot now.

21. EuroDriver

EuroDriver Newbie

I have been having this problem myself for the past few months and thought it was the USB debugging as well. turning it off didn't help. After reading this thread, I went into settings/applications/manage applications, went to the "sd card" tab." All I was showing there was angry birds (both versions) and "HomeSmack" which is an app to toggle between LauncherPro and the stock Home Screen.

I moved "HomeSmack" from the sd card to the phone and that solved the problem for me.

Hope this helps someone else.

22. BoostedFalcon

BoostedFalcon Newbie

This problem has annoyed me too! I have about 15 programs installed on the SD card. Of those were Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio. I moved those 3 programs to the phone storage and left the other applications. I have had zero reboots from the USB connection now.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews