• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fix? images artifacted in browser and browser-based apps

DaveHiro

Jun 30, 2012
Just bought an Evo 4G LTE to replace my screen-cracked Rezound (switching networks apparently).

AND, images are not so good on LTEvo in the browser and apps like Tumblr. There are a lot of compression artifacts showing up that I'm not seeing on my old rezound.

Is there a setting somewhere that will fix this? It is very noticeable to me.

Thanks!

sounds like sprints proxy servers compressing images.

if you have your MSL you can go into the programming of the phone and remove sprints servers and the test to see if that helped.

are you rooted?
do you use any other browsers? are they giving you the same results?

care to post a link to a site you view that has artifacts so others can test on their device?

Reactions: DaveHiro
Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. I think you're correct. Anything web-based is artifacted - even if I try to download the images.

Sites/Apps that have the issue: Tumblr (site and app), 500px (app), photo portfolio websites, etc.

Not rooted. Only had the phone since 11:00pm last night. Can i change the servers with the MSL without rooting?

Edit: Just called sprint and got the MSL. Two days to see if I can fix the issue - would rather not root at the moment, if I can help it...

Aha... Got it. ##3282## -> MSL is password -> advanced Data Settings... RTSP/HTTP all 0.0.0.0 or 0...

Doesn't seem to have fixed the problem though... Are there specific servers I should use?

Definitely not fixed... rebooted with hotboot unchecked... twice... still artifacts at mid to high-contrast boundaries and lots of them... If there were a Sprint store close by, I'd go check but I won't be able to make it to one before I'm stuck with the activation fee too.

Upvote 0
no specific servers. you dont want ANY servers/proxies in the way for this.

that's all that can be done. there are no settings on the user end to make images better.

I suggest trying other browsers--firefox, boat, dolphin and see if there is a difference.

perhaps try changing the browser settings to "desktop" or "ipad", etc.

Reactions: DaveHiro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones