1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Fixable or dead?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrewjamess, Apr 15, 2011.

1. andrewjamess

andrewjamess Lurker
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    I dropped my phone in water (i know, stupid), i immediately took the battery out and threw it in rice. a bit later i tried to turn it on -- it went to some weird root menu type screen with a few options. i clicked restore and it ended up at a triangle with an exclamation point. i took the battery out again and put it back in the rice to let it sit longer. I haven't tried to turn it on again. am i out of options? is it dead? I've had the phone for a few days, would verizon replace it without charging an arm and a leg?

Advertisement

2. nkk

nkk Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    You are not out of options. In fact, I would say your phone is perfectly fine.

What you saw was the hboot menu. There is one other report of the phone automatically going there when wet. Whether that is anecdotal or if there really is a short that is really easy to get wet is another story.

When you got there, you hit recovery (not restore :) ), and you got to the stock recovery screen. This is what ClockWork Mod replaces if you decide to root.

Anyway if it turned on you are (probably) fine. Let it sit a little longer. Maybe in a day or two try it. I know that is a long time, but you have two options at this point:
    1. wait less time and risk it is not totally dry. Depending on where the water goes between now and then, this could fry it.
    2. Wait longer, let it completely dry and then turn it on. This is the safest method.

Anyway, hope your phone works in the end.

Nkk

3. Technipages

Technipages Member
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    Security Admin for a large banking company.
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yes, do as nkk said and leave it be. It's very important that you do not turn it on until you are sure the phone is completely dry. Resist the urge and see if it works in a few days.

Verizon will likely not help you out. There is a sticker that detects if the phone has been water damaged. They usually don't show any mercy when that's the case.

-m

4. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    no mercy should be given when the customer damages the product. I don't know of any company that says "oh, I'm so sorry you broke your stuff. let me get you another one for free." that's what insurance is for.

plus, when I recently exchanged an Incredible for a messed speaker, part of the disclosures for the warranty exchange was if you return a phone that's gotten wet or is damaged, you'll be charged $299 (for smartphones anyway)