• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[FIXED] Phone doesn't boot after failed Xposed installation.

naahuel

Lurker
Nov 15, 2013
My phone: Moto G 2014, Android 5.0.1

I was playing with Google Cardboard and noticed that it sucks on this phone. Shakes like hell. So I googled around and came accross Xposed framework and a module that fixes this.

So, to "fix" the shaky gyro, I rooted my phone and installed xposed, using this tutorial:

What went ok, was rooting the phone. I then flashed the ZIP using TWRP. Rebooted and it said "updating android". After that, i couldn't install any apps from the Play Store. It downloaded them, started installing and then gave me an error "-504".

I cleared the apps cache and data. No luck.

Restarted. Same problem.

I noticed that the "updating android" box would appear everytime I booted.

So went to TWRP and this is the stupid step that killed my phone: I flashed the zip again.

Now it powers on, shows the Motorolla logos, they spin, it loads, and after a minute a get nothing. The screen light is on, but it's all black.

I don't have a recovery img to restore, since i don't have an sd card and I didn't have enough storage space.

Is there something I can do? I'm desparate.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
@naahuel,

While I don't have a an answer/solution for you, I do have a few quick things:

1. I edited your post to remove the duplicate text--that should make it easier for folks to see what's going on

2. That site you linked to is actually very well written--I didn't watch the video but read through all of the installation notes

3. Did you select (and flash) the proper framework for your device/CPU? If not, I'm guessing that might be the cause of your issues...

4. When you say you don't have a recovery.img to restore, do you mean that you no longer have a custom recovery installed or you do not have Nandroid backup that you can restore? (restoring a pre-Xposed Nandroid backup would fix you up if you had taken one, of course).

I don't have a Moto G device and am not familiar with the ins and outs of it's root activities, so the best I can offer is to move your thread to the Moto G 2014 root area for you so the folks that know your device best can help you out:

Let me know if you'd like me to do this.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
@scary alien,

I truly appreciate your response.

1.- Thank you :)

2.- Yes, that's why I followed those steps. It seemed pretty safe. Like I said, it all seemed to have gone ok. I did however had a problem installing or updating apps from the play store. I noticed this because I wanted to install ES File Explorer to install the APK of Xposed Installer I had saved in the phone. Every time I tried, it would download the files and when it was time to install it nothing happened and after a few minutes it'd throw the error I mentioned.

3.- I followed the steps in the tutorial to see the architecture of the CPU and Android version. I had Android 5.0.1 and the CPU was ARMv7. I then tried to use the links provided by the tutorial, but they don't work. I should have downloaded Xposed Framework for 5.0.X devices (ARMv7). So what I did was go to the official thread in the XDA-DEVELOPERS forum for Xposed (following a link in the official website). Here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
So what I did there was download the file called "xposed-v80-sdk21-arm.zip (3.31 MB)" and that's the one I flashed using TWRP. I figured that was the correct sdk for android 5.0.1 and the correct CPU (was I wrong?).
And again, that *seemed* to have gone ok. Phone booted, worked, but wouldn't allow me to install apps. And also, the "updating android" message box would appear every time I restarted the phone.
That's when I (stupidly) decided to flash that same zip again. Now, I have no access to the phone.
* Phone is picked up by Ubuntu when connected to the USB port while in the "black screen", but I can't mount it to see its internal storage or sd card.
* Phone seems to boot up fine, but shows a black screen after the loading logos.
* I can boot into custom recovery fine.

4.- I did not perform a NANDroid backup. I needed like 4Gb that I didn't have.

Thank you for your time. If you feel that it would help me better to move the thread, please go ahead. I posted it here mainly because it seems a more active area and perhaps this wasn't a Moto G-specific problem.

Upvote 0
No problem, @naahuel -- happy to help in what little way I can :).

It does look to me (after perusing the very confusing threads, LOL :p) that you downloaded and installed / flashed the correct .zip framework file. I've not used / installed Xposed, so I'm afraid I can't really give you much guidance on troubleshooting this.

It's good that you do indeed still have a custom recovery (I just wasn't sure) since that will obviously give you some options for debugging and recovering things.

It does look like the Xposed installer creates backup files of the files that it messes with (i.e., by appending "_original") to them and that the Xposed uninstaller .zip file (located in the same page/link where you got the framework installer .zip file) should revert things back to how they were prior to the first installation.

What I don't know is what effect your having flashed the installer twice will be--i.e., will the second flashing have renamed the files (which it would have assumed were stock) with the "_original" suffix (and therefore make using the framework uninstaller not really useful)?

Dunno...

You might want to also post in the proper XDA thread and see what the folks over there say...that/they might be your best resource for resolving your issues--otherwise, you might need to (somehow) re-install the stock files that the Xposed installer installed.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot everyone! :) This is the most help I've ever gotten from any other forum, about anything. Great place!
After pulling an all-nighter (I became extremely paranoid, so I did a lot of reading and video watching. Phones are expensive here. )

After a lot of thinking, I went with this one:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g-2014/general/official-stock-firmware-5-0-2-lxb22-46-t3019612
I used this firmware
XT1068 5.0.2 LXB22.99-16.3 RETDSDS WITH STAGE FRIGHT FIX RETAIL DUAL SIM DUAL STANDBY (EU/INDIAN/GLOBAL) 26/08/2015 BUILD

I'm from Latin America (Argentina). I chose that one instead of the last one for LA because it's the only one that says Dual Sim.

I had to get a Windows machine and whatnot. Everything went really smoothly. After installing the firmware, the phone booted up like a champ. However, my Google Account was still there, even though I performed a factory reset from fastboot.

Now I have a new problem. SIM cards don't work. They are recognized, but they show "no service". If I go to scan networks, it says "there was an error scanning for networks". Here are screenshots (in Spanish, sorry!)
https://goo.gl/photos/Fi3GArKJSGqzFn8C9
https://goo.gl/photos/i1aNakd1a9NjxaWt7

Is this fixable? Should I try another firmware? :(

It does look to me (after perusing the very confusing threads, LOL :p) that you downloaded and installed / flashed the correct .zip framework file. I've not used / installed Xposed, so I'm afraid I can't really give you much guidance on troubleshooting this.

I can't thank you enough for all the time and trouble you took doing all this research.

It does look like the Xposed installer creates backup files of the files that it messes with (i.e., by appending "_original") to them and that the Xposed uninstaller .zip file (located in the same page/link where you got the framework installer .zip file) should revert things back to how they were prior to the first installation.

I did think about giving this a go. It worried me that I had flashed it twice, so I didn't.

What I don't know is what effect your having flashed the installer twice will be--i.e., will the second flashing have renamed the files (which it would have assumed were stock) with the "_original" suffix (and therefore make using the framework uninstaller not really useful)?

That's what I thought, yeah.

Yeah, that's what I did... :(

One these should work with the unstaller good luck

Thank you for your help :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones