• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FLAC on DX

Half of my music library is in FLAC and transcoding is a pain. Is there anyone who plays FLAC on their DX? What app do you use? I have tried Meridian, but it forces closes and freezes up constantly. I've also tried andless same thing. I'm running FlyX so that MIGHT have something to do with it? Idk

What do you all think?

I would like this too, but frankly FLACs are just too big for an SDCard and the Droid X's sound chip can't compare to my Sony Walkman. I don't think it's worth it - a good solution I am using is Subsonic. It automatically transcodes flacs to MP3 from your home computer (which runs the server) and this way you don't need to keep any files at all.

It works great and I fully intend to buy my server (for a suggested 20 pound donation) when my trial period is over. It buffers and streams better than XiaaLive or Last.fm even over 3g.

Upvote 0
You could try converting to 400+kbps AAC. That's what I'm using, and I do believe I can tell the difference via my Lansing bluetooth headset. There's just something about mp3 (even HQ) that doesn't sound right to me. Maybe it's the placebo effect on the Droid ... but they just sound compressed. I know -- AAC is compressed too, but the noise floor is much lower.

One of those subjective things, but at least give it a shot. The stock player (and most others) will play those.

Upvote 0
You could try converting to 400+kbps AAC. That's what I'm using, and I do believe I can tell the difference via my Lansing bluetooth headset. There's just something about mp3 (even HQ) that doesn't sound right to me. Maybe it's the placebo effect on the Droid ... but they just sound compressed. I know -- AAC is compressed too, but the noise floor is much lower.

One of those subjective things, but at least give it a shot. The stock player (and most others) will play those.

Out of curiosity, how do get 400+kbps AAC? Unless I'm missing something iTunes only goes up to 320.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, how do get 400+kbps AAC? Unless I'm missing something iTunes only goes up to 320.

I used foobar2000 to convert my FLACs to HQ AAC specifically for this purpose (to have smaller, more compatible and yet higher quality files for "mp3" players). The files are still larger than mp3s, but definitely much smaller than FLAC. I believe 400kbps is achievable with AAC, though I could be mistaken. And when I look at the file properties that's what is reflected. But it's possible the reading is just off for some reason.

EDIT: I Googled AAC 400kbps and it does seem to support that bitrate, and a little higher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones